Treating Ich - for specific fish make up

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pics will help with ID but I suspect you may have ich. Unless they're large white blobs it may be lymph which is not uncommon during coperntreatments due to the weakened immune system. Lymph is rather harmless, albeit unsightly sometimes. That's my hope!

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I was able to get, still think it's ich? Tank is currently dosed with coppersafe at 2.2ml / gallon. I can take pictures of the copper test if we still think it's ich.

Tang also trying to scratch himself on Pvc pipes

33p3ius.jpg

2jfbpxs.jpg

https://ibb.co/jGn4CF

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The right is coppersafe dosed in 1 gallon of saltwater at 2.1ml / gal. The left if the reading from my QT tank. First picture under fluorescent, second under natural light

5y85g6.jpg

diGypv

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't make it out too well in the photo, but have you checked for flukes? I have a feeling that might be what's going, but a 5 minute fresh water dip would tell for sure.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks pretty similar to the blue tang discussed in this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hippo-tang-symptoms.312271/page-3, but less severe. I will try a freshwater dip today and see if that helps at all

Definitely still try the freshwater dip, even if it is ich or something else it might help give some relief.

There's a great video in this link showing how it's done, and what flukes look like in a fw dip:

Freshwater Dip

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not flukes, you could also be dealing with a secondary bacterial infection. Those fins look pretty tattered.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not flukes, you could also be dealing with a secondary bacterial infection. Those fins look pretty tattered.
Yeah - it's hard to tell if that was bacterial of from him scratching. I have metroplex on hand, would that be worth starting to dose as well? Can it be done in conjunction with copper?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - it's hard to tell if that was bacterial of from him scratching. I have metroplex on hand, would that be worth starting to dose as well? Can it be done in conjunction with copper?

I would wait and see what you find in the fw dip. If there's flukes you'll want to take care of those first.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait and see what you find in the fw dip. If there's flukes you'll want to take care of those first.
Did the freshwater dip for 5 mins and didnt see anything fall off, also don't see anything at the bottom of the container. So still stumped :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting pics shortly. Upon further investigation, these white spots actually seem to be on the outside of the skin, almost hanging on

Your pics look like ich, but being on the outside of the skin doesn't line up with ich. Ich trophonts burrow in under the epithelium (outer skin layer).

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pics look like ich, but being on the outside of the skin doesn't line up with ich. Ich trophonts burrow in under the epithelium (outer skin layer).
Any thoughts around the test readings? Also, if I am dosing at 2.1ml / gallon - what would cause the copper level to go down in a QT setup?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts around the test readings? Also, if I am dosing at 2.1ml / gallon - what would cause the copper level to go down in a QT setup?

The vials under fluorescent light look exactly the same to me; the second pic (under natural light) is a broken link.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vials under fluorescent light look exactly the same to me; the second pic (under natural light) is a broken link.
As I would expect them to, so the question is.. is the level high enough or do i need to furthur increase? Also, what would cause copper level to decrease in a QT setup from what was a dosed - in the case that is what happened & i just wasnt testing enough.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I would expect them to, so the question is.. is the level high enough or do i need to furthur increase? Also, what would cause copper level to decrease in a QT setup from what was a dosed - in the case that is what happened & i just wasnt testing enough.

Your Cu level looks spot on @ 2.0 ppm to me. Absorption by rock, sand, anything with a porous surface (e.g. ceramic rings) can decrease the copper level.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Cu level looks spot on @ 2.0 ppm to me. Absorption by rock, sand, anything with a porous surface (e.g. ceramic rings) can decrease the copper level.

Only porous thing i have is a small amount of gravel in a tupperware for melanrus. Anyhoo, thoughts about how to proceed? Do i have a resistant ich strain?

Any also - to my question above, is it okay to dose metroplex in conjunction w/ copper?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back