Treating Ich - for specific fish make up

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos look like ich, it's pretty uncommon for white spots to be much else as in that thread, FWIW. It's possible though

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos look like ich, it's pretty uncommon for white spots to be much else as in that thread, FWIW. It's possible though

So if I'm at the recommend high end of the copper dosage, and still seeing signs... do i just continue to wait it out and see what happens? Would it hurt to dose metroplex at the same time?

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you are at a therapeutic Cu level? What color do you see if you raise the test tube 1/2" above the white area of the card? Not all agree but I am of the opinion you need to let light in thru the bottom of the tube--unless you are outside in bright sunlight. Not like a Red Sea test.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you are at a therapeutic Cu level? What color do you see if you raise the test tube 1/2" above the white area of the card? Not all agree but I am of the opinion you need to let light in thru the bottom of the tube--unless you are outside in bright sunlight. Not like a Red Sea test.
I'll give that a shot and see if I see anything different, however based on the ml / gallon dosing needed for copper safe, even if there was some absorption by the small amount of gravel I dosed at the high end. So seems odd if it would be below therapeutic levels.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, but ICH would not have survived this long if Cu was at a therapeutic level. We can only be reasonably sure with an accurate test.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @ngoodermuth - can anyone confirm if it is okay to use metroplex in conjunction with copper?
It is OK to use copper with metro-- just ensure you add oxygen to the tank via bubbler or adding wavemaker that breaks the surface.

Also, a bacterial bloom is possible when mixing these meds -- if it happens do large water change as necessary and re-dose.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can use metroplex with copper...although I'm not sure it will help until we figure out for sure what you're dealing with. Do you happen to have acriflavine? Maybe a bath to see if that affects it at all? @Humblefish what do you suggest? Should he assume it's bacterial and treat with antibiotics/metroplex? That would cover brook as well...just in case.

This is one of those tough calls.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have acriflavine, only meds I have on hand are focus metroplex & copper.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish what do you suggest? Should he assume it's bacterial and treat with antibiotics/metroplex? That would cover brook as well...just in case.

This is one of those tough calls.

I would like to see close ups of the white spots on the fish. I don't believe this is ich, but more likely a skin reaction to copper.

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see close ups of the white spots on the fish. I don't believe this is ich, but more likely a skin reaction to copper.

Hey Humble - I'll see if I can get a better picture, but in the case is the latter I suppose I'll just need to observe and see what happens once I remove the copper?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Humble - I'll see if I can get a better picture, but in the case is the latter I suppose I'll just need to observe and see what happens once I remove the copper?

Yes

OP
OP
W

Wunderboiy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after removing the copper the tang is looking much better, we will see what happens after a few weeks!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back