Treating ICH in a display (reef tank)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely sounds like velvet. Velvet is partially photosynthetic.
Actually, marine velvet, Amyloodinium isn’t photosynthetic, just freshwater velvet, Oodinium is.
Jay

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I read here it stands out that quarantine doesnt always have to be about dosed meds it can be about observing the fish for emerging issues for X amount of time before moving into a display, reducing vector chances vs just adding

is that a fair summary of qt benefits for new readers

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to find new articles on marine velvet to read. That's rather interesting news to me.
It is a tough reference to find - you’ll find a lot of hobbyist literature that says they do, but they are all referencing each other. If you find a true scientific reference, it will say that this species is not photosynthetic…
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to find new articles on marine velvet to read. That's rather interesting news to me.
I found a way to find this: in Google type in Amyloodinium chloroplasts the first two hits are papers that explain this species does not have chloroplasts.
Jay

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Providing another update. The fish appear to continue to get healthier. There has been no loss since the initial three. The only fish still currently showing any signs at all of Velvet is the Powder Brown Tang and the two Clarkii clowns. The clowns actually temporarily went blind from the parasite. Outside of the normal sheen and endless white specks their eyes clouded over and they very obviously could not see - they mostly hovered in place, but when attempting to swim would hit rocks/glass. Their vision has returned and they are eating ferociously. Only one of the two has some signs of velvet on their body. The powder brown is still the worst off - clear signs on his body and he occasionally swins into the flow of the wavemakers. With that said, he is improving, he has never stopped eating. Fingers crossed everyone hangs in there.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Providing another update. The fish appear to continue to get healthier. There has been no loss since the initial three. The only fish still currently showing any signs at all of Velvet is the Powder Brown Tang and the two Clarkii clowns. The clowns actually temporarily went blind from the parasite. Outside of the normal sheen and endless white specks their eyes clouded over and they very obviously could not see - they mostly hovered in place, but when attempting to swim would hit rocks/glass. Their vision has returned and they are eating ferociously. Only one of the two has some signs of velvet on their body. The powder brown is still the worst off - clear signs on his body and he occasionally swins into the flow of the wavemakers. With that said, he is improving, he has never stopped eating. Fingers crossed everyone hangs in there.
I was following this. How are your fish today?

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following this. How are your fish today?
I just came back from another week-long work trip. All of the fish are alive, but the Velvet is still present. The yellow tang, who overcame it and was looking healthy once again looks very ill. He's covered. It's amazing how any of them are alive after dealing with velvet for three weeks now..

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came back from another week-long work trip. All of the fish are alive, but the Velvet is still present. The yellow tang, who overcame it and was looking healthy once again looks very ill. He's covered. It's amazing how any of them are alive after dealing with velvet for three weeks now..
Wow....good luck with your fish. I have been practicing a ich management system for many years. It is not easy, but I added the largest UV sterilizer I could fit. That seems to help a lot. I have never dealt with velvet. Please keep is pasted!

OP
OP
gideon2086

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...

Came back from vacation expecting the worst as I left the fish in the care with a young neighbor and a few still had signs of velvet/ich. I'm happy to report that upon my return all fish are still alive and appear to be very healthy. I see zero signs of disease in the tank at this point. None are swimming into the flow of wavemakers or flashing into the sand/coral. All are eating like pigs. Fingers crossed, but I think I may be over this.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update...

Came back from vacation expecting the worst as I left the fish in the care with a young neighbor and a few still had signs of velvet/ich. I'm happy to report that upon my return all fish are still alive and appear to be very healthy. I see zero signs of disease in the tank at this point. None are swimming into the flow of wavemakers or flashing into the sand/coral. All are eating like pigs. Fingers crossed, but I think I may be over this.
Any update on what happened?

Back