Treating Turf Algae with Fluconazole

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not talking about LD50 effects -I´m talking about sublethal effects. Other inhibitors of the CYP51 has shown to affect the reproduction of at least fathead minnow. It is an old enzyme - developed early in the evolutionary history, hence represented in many kingdoms of living organisms.

the difference between what is "remedy" and what is "poison", whether to humans, other animals or plants, has always been the dose.
Exactly - you nail the problem with using chemicals in order to defeat biological problems. You will never know which dose is safe in the long run. I´m old enough to have heard about the drug that should save the humans of the world until an American scientist, Rachel Carson, publish the book "Silent Spring" 27 September 1962. The compound that was this holly gral until that day was DDT.

The only chemical/remedy that i would use in aquaria is products based on H2O2, the naturs own remedy for many problems. With H2O2 I know for sure - there will be no long time effects - rest product is always oxygen gas and water.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys 1 more question, do you stop dosing amino's when doing treatment

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not talking about LD50 effects -I´m talking about sublethal effects. Other inhibitors of the CYP51 has shown to affect the reproduction of at least fathead minnow. It is an old enzyme - developed early in the evolutionary history, hence represented in many kingdoms of living organisms.

Exactly - you nail the problem with using chemicals in order to defeat biological problems. You will never know which dose is safe in the long run. I´m old enough to have heard about the drug that should save the humans of the world until an American scientist, Rachel Carson, publish the book "Silent Spring" 27 September 1962. The compound that was this holly gral until that day was DDT.

The only chemical/remedy that i would use in aquaria is products based on H2O2, the naturs own remedy for many problems. With H2O2 I know for sure - there will be no long time effects - rest product is always oxygen gas and water.

Sincerely Lasse
These are options that are made, and I respect yours - but in the way I think, in a non-technical environment I prefer to use drugs with a specific target and elevated LD50, than to use biocides; An aquarist may misunderstand fluconazole dosage and use up to 20 times the recommended dose for algae treatment, yet it will not noticeably affect their biology, more than some algae and fungus ... I think if it failed so with H2O2, would have problems.

Regards

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update fluco did the job to rid tank of algae!! DT is clean as but i got to give a shout out to the hermits. They are cleaning the rocks so good of algae including corraline

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frag tank however is another story, the algae did die off but it has come back but its my fault i think. I added some frags and I think this new algae came from them. They were monti frags so i didnt dip in dettol as i usually do. Also didnt remove from plug as i had none spare. Its alot more agreesive spreading more each day. It just long strands though.
20180804_090635.jpg
20180804_094526.jpg
20180804_094512.jpg
20180804_094507.jpg
20180804_094216.jpg
20180804_090625.jpg

20180804_094507.jpg

20180804_094216.jpg

20180804_090625.jpg

20180804_090648.jpg

20180804_094507.jpg

20180804_094526.jpg

View attachment 20180804_091328.jpg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm battling what looks like turf algae I'd thought I'd just bump this thread instead of starting another. I've tried flucanozole twice with no luck. I have plenty of snails (turbo and astrea), emerald crabs, and recently added a tuxedo urchin. Out of all the CUC I have I've only seen the emerald crab eating it but not enough to make a dent. I've dealt with dinos, cyano and a little bubble algae but this stuff is driving me nuts because I'm throwing everything at it and it won't go away. I can manually remove some but it's deep in the crevices and hard to pull out. The last time I tested the nutrients I was at No3 - 5 and Po4 - 0.07. I just bought a bottle of Vibrant so I'm considering starting that. Anybody deal with this stuff and what did you do?

These small patches have spread to the bare spots in the pic, and I had to
move that milli because it was getting smothered.
Po3SPHgl.jpg

NwK9Ol8l.jpg

This is what I pulled out. It's darker and thicker than HA.
RtAAUCcl.jpg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm battling what looks like turf algae I'd thought I'd just bump this thread instead of starting another. I've tried flucanozole twice with no luck. I have plenty of snails (turbo and astrea), emerald crabs, and recently added a tuxedo urchin. Out of all the CUC I have I've only seen the emerald crab eating it but not enough to make a dent. I've dealt with dinos, cyano and a little bubble algae but this stuff is driving me nuts because I'm throwing everything at it and it won't go away. I can manually remove some but it's deep in the crevices and hard to pull out. The last time I tested the nutrients I was at No3 - 5 and Po4 - 0.07. I just bought a bottle of Vibrant so I'm considering starting that. Anybody deal with this stuff and what did you do?

These small patches have spread to the bare spots in the pic, and I had to
move that milli because it was getting smothered.
Po3SPHgl.jpg

NwK9Ol8l.jpg

This is what I pulled out. It's darker and thicker than HA.
RtAAUCcl.jpg

Oh, man! That's NOT what I wanted to hear. I bought some frags recently in an online auction and ended up with some type of turf algae and Bryopsis. One frag even started growing Ulva. The turf algae is by far the more aggressive, and even though I've dipped the frags, rocks, and anything else I can lift out of the tank in H2O2, I can't get rid of this turf algae. I was going to try fluconizole. It sounds like I shouldn't bother.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future, any frag you get that is on a plug, cut it off the plug and then glue in place to clean rock, rubble or new plugs. This will help to prevent unwanted pests getting into your system.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then you forget one tiny strand of turf algae and the nightmare starts all over. Might want to look into a algae turf scrubber and use the turf algae to grow in this. Might starve out the turf algae in the main display. Good luck. I've had turf algae for years and I've learned to live with it.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future, any frag you get that is on a plug, cut it off the plug and then glue in place to clean rock, rubble or new plugs. This will help to prevent unwanted pests getting into your system.

Yes, I do know this. I forgot to order frag plugs, and worse yet, I forgot I had rubble rock in my sump ready to use, duh! So, I dipped with Coral Rx AND H2O2 before putting the frags in the tank, and then I crossed my fingers.

FYI, crossing fingers does not increase one's chances of keeping pest algae from a saltwater tank. Sigh. Now I'm dealing with my foolish decision.

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man! That's NOT what I wanted to hear. I bought some frags recently in an online auction and ended up with some type of turf algae and Bryopsis. One frag even started growing Ulva. The turf algae is by far the more aggressive, and even though I've dipped the frags, rocks, and anything else I can lift out of the tank in H2O2, I can't get rid of this turf algae. I was going to try fluconizole. It sounds like I shouldn't bother.
Did you ever end up getting rid of the turf algae? Im struggling pretty hard.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back