Treating With Vitamin C

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still occasionally tossing in a 1000mg tablet into my 90 gal. My stuff looked fine to begin with (other then where algae was starting to be an issue on a frag), so I can't really say if it has mattered or not. I'm sure I'm not hitting the sweet spot as far as concentration is concerned.

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else having good luck with this? I have decided I really don't want to do w/o the Purigen, as I have a heavily mixed tank. I am now adding the C to the last compartment, after where the Purigen is, rather than the beginning of my sump. Still dosing 2000mg, 2x/day but I think I'm going up to 3000. BTW, 1 zoa guru over at RC, says this is the best idea since FW dipping!

Last edited:

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've pretty much stopped dosing. Perhaps I would start again if I a zoa problem developed, but I don't see the point to keep it up in general maintenance cases.

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that "guru" might post here too (I know some of you guys still post at RC). Funny you aren't as impressed with this as they are. You should read that thread. Folks with very impressive tanks are seeing even better looking polyps & folks with 1/2 dead zoas are seeing them coming back. You can also see comparison, before/after shots in a thread at Uberfrags. I think most of you aren't dosing enough.

Last edited:

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that "guru" might post here too (I know some of you guys still do). Funny you guys aren't as impressed with this as they are. You should read that thread. Folks with very impressive tanks are seeing even better looking polyps & folks with 1/2 dead zoas are seeing them coming back. You can also see comparison, before/after shots in a thread at Uberfrags. I think most of you aren't dosing enough.

It is possible we (I) aren't (am not) dosing enough, but I've seen plenty of "additives" out there where people say "Look what it did to my tank!!". It also seems a bit expensive and labor intensive to dose 3000mg 2x a day. I can see doing this if you have problems going on, but I am not sold on doing this in a healthy tank. And I have been following the thread on RC.

Last edited:

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i didn't see any improvements so i stopped. I had one zoa that was melting and i was dosing for that one and it still melted away.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personal i dont see where this is going. ok dosing "C" might be good for coral or companies wouldnt be putting it in additives for our tank. i find dosing c is like dosing garlic, it may help but truly it isnt a cure for anything. without images it hard to say rather your geting the results that others might be looking for. overall its not a cure for zoa pox and realy wont remove the film from the zoa that develope some type of bactria infection or fungus infection.

just my 2 cents.

p.s i have been reading both threads and would read them if they go any further.

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get C from Sam's Club so the cost doesn't bother me at all. My problem is I was losing entire colonies that had been doing great for years, right next to colonies that were fine. Everybody kept telling me the brown dusting on them was a fungus & to dip but all my zoas are growing on rocks way too big to dip. I was looking for something to dose the entire tank, like Maracyn (or some kind of anti-bacterial/fungal that was safe for the entire tank), when I remembered that I read somewhere about dosing with Vitamin C & echinacea. Since echinacea comes in capsules that were a PITA to open individually & I didn't think the gelatin would be good for my tank, I decided to go with the C. I take it 2x/day, because it isn't stored in the cells, so that's why I dose 2x too. I figured, boosting their immune system with an antioxident might work & I think I might have fallen onto something good.

Last edited:

Darksilenttype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thrread . I have been dosing Vit C myself . I do notice some improvement to the zoas I was having a problem with . I would like to know if anyone else has noticed that after you dose your ORP readings fall a lot . I have been keeping track and My ORP reading goes from 319 to 101 after I dose . It will come back to normal after a few hours . I was wondering if large changes in ORP readings can be harmfull ?

I was also forwarded these article from a local friend as you can dosing Vit C is nothing new .

http://www.athiel.com/lib2/pguide/vitami1.html

John

Last edited:

buster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personal i dont see where this is going. ok dosing "C" might be good for coral or companies wouldnt be putting it in additives for our tank. i find dosing c is like dosing garlic, it may help but truly it isnt a cure for anything. without images it hard to say rather your geting the results that others might be looking for. overall its not a cure for zoa pox and realy wont remove the film from the zoa that develope some type of bactria infection or fungus infection.

just my 2 cents.

I do not think it is meant to be and end all cure all. I feel that it might strengthen the corals immune system thus making them less vulnerable to bacteria and infertion. I take about 50 times the recommended daily allowencs of Vitamin C. Do I get sick? I do in fact but not as often as people who abuse their bodies and do not take care of themselves. I also take other many other antioxidents as well as vitamin C.
If all of these people are seeing no ill effect to dosing it other than a minor dip in PH and Alkalinity then I see nothing but a possible plus for dosing vitamin C. Time will tell

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know lots of folks were asking for before & after pics & I actually did find an old pic of my Tubb's Blues, the whole purpose of my looking for a cure to this problem. I refused to lose these beauties!

Before:
SickBlues.jpg

After (today, 2 months later):
TubbsBlues.jpg

See all the new babies on the bottom? Everything's growing like that now!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to have sparked his interest--my purpose in posting there. So far he really hasn't said much. He's still waiting for me to compile some data. The RC thread is up to about 15 pages now & about 20 people are trying this method of dosing.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey PP can you resummarize the method of treatment that you are doing right now after learning more and more about this?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back