Treatment for eel, possible anchor worm

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased this snowflake eel and it looks like it has something attached resembling an anchor worm. It is currently in quarantine. Worm is located to the left of his eye in the picture. There is also something white and stringy coming from the front of it's mouth. Any suggestions for treatment?
IMG_6792 copy.jpg

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started treating with Cyropro and the anchor worm is gone. Fish does have white stringy feces. Not sure if it's related or an internal parasite. I was thinking about soaking food in general cure + focus, but not sure if that's ok to do while treating with Cyropro.

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my second round of Cyropro after a 25% water change. Fish did not respond well to it. It coiled up and its head was upside down. I did a 50% water change and added some carbon. Looking better so far, going to keep an eye on it.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my expeirence Prazi Pro is the gentlest thing you can use for parasites and worms. Which is what white stringy poop sounds like to me. Good luck

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels isn't looking great. Not sure what happened.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the O2 level in the tank? Do you have a powerhead running aimed up at the surface actively rippling the water?

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the O2 level in the tank? Do you have a powerhead running aimed up at the surface actively rippling the water?
Yes, I have a HOB filter, air sponge filter and powerhead pointed at the surface. I also have an ammonia badge, which is not reading anything. I wonder if sudden dosing of meds depleted oxygen.

The eels seems to be doing much better now. Still not sure what happened. I'm thinking to give it some time and get it eating before treating again. Thinking to try a lower dose and ramp it up over time.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right. I've not used Cyropro. Looked it up and it seems that it was originally designed for use in ponds where O2 levels should not be a great concern in the great outdoors. Have you used this before?

OP
OP
O

Opah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be right. I've not used Cyropro. Looked it up and it seems that it was originally designed for use in ponds where O2 levels should not be a great concern in the great outdoors. Have you used this before?
I haven't used it before. It was effective at treating the anchor worm (parasitic copepod) on the first treatment. Second treatment is when I had the issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back