Treatment Protocol for Sick Anemones

zelik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s looking a bit better, day 7. I’ll just keep him in the hospital tank for awhile so the clowns don’t harass it to death

C3723FCB-F796-48C7-B813-AD89412FEA77.jpeg

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s looking a bit better, day 7. I’ll just keep him in the hospital tank for awhile so the clowns don’t harass it to death

C3723FCB-F796-48C7-B813-AD89412FEA77.jpeg

Nice recovery ;Doctor :)
What treatment did you use at what dosage?

OA3B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need your help fellow reefers with my bta

FFD7A851-F3EF-4F8E-BCEA-E31A134B6178.jpeg E56C19BE-9B9B-4317-B130-0D93321EA394.jpeg

Mayleyboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get a better pic bc he is smooshed up in the rock but my poor anemone is looking really sad and he isn’t normally like this it’s the first time and he has been like this for about a week.

EC8C40E2-B7A2-41AC-AA17-CD58C7024DFE.jpeg 2848D92F-E0FC-42DE-A82B-51383C4D4C17.jpeg

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it getting picked on by anything else in your tank? Mine began to look like this when my clowns wouldn't stop harassing it. The retracted tentacles and color are definitely cause for concern. If you can figure out what's got it upset and fix it, it will likely come back. Mine was almost completely bleached, split twice, and is still making a comeback, but you need to start ruling out causes. What are your params? What are its tank mates? What's your setup, etc? Any changes made lately?

Mayleyboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it getting picked on by anything else in your tank? Mine began to look like this when my clowns wouldn't stop harassing it. The retracted tentacles and color are definitely cause for concern. If you can figure out what's got it upset and fix it, it will likely come back. Mine was almost completely bleached, split twice, and is still making a comeback, but you need to start ruling out causes. What are your params? What are its tank mates? What's your setup, etc? Any changes made lately?

Temp 78
Sg 1.025
Ph 8.1
Kh 10.3
Ca 444
Ph 0
Na 6

I think I missed some but I’ll repost if so
The ph was low on Sunday and I put a balanacer in to bring it about about .2

Never seen my clowns go near it unfortunately which is why I wanted him. Had him about 4 months now. I have Never seen any fish or invert near it.

He moved about 6 days ago to that spot and there isn’t flow there.
It’s a 72 bow front
Have a fluval reef fixture.
Been set up about 8 months

Two clowns
Fire goby
Falco hawkfish
Yellow clown goby
Six line wrasse
Two chromis
Diamond goby
12 snails assorted
10 hermits assorted
Pincushion urchin(so cute)

Four different type of zoas
Two different star polyps one of which is spreading super fast
Hammer coral
Acan

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78
Sg 1.025
Ph 8.1
Kh 10.3
Ca 444
Ph 0
Na 6

I think I missed some but I’ll repost if so
The ph was low on Sunday and I put a balanacer in to bring it about about .2

Never seen my clowns go near it unfortunately which is why I wanted him. Had him about 4 months now. I have Never seen any fish or invert near it.

He moved about 6 days ago to that spot and there isn’t flow there.
It’s a 72 bow front
Have a fluval reef fixture.
Been set up about 8 months

Two clowns
Fire goby
Falco hawkfish
Yellow clown goby
Six line wrasse
Two chromis
Diamond goby
12 snails assorted
10 hermits assorted
Pincushion urchin(so cute)

Four different type of zoas
Two different star polyps one of which is spreading super fast
Hammer coral
Acan
Where was he before he moved?

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of damage ?!?!
A dead anemone will release toxins into your system, not including the ammonia spike dead livestock cause. Both these things coming from an anemone have the potential to nuke your tank. If you have the resources, you could set up its own quarantine tank, spot feed it, and see if it will still eat and maybe come back. Even putting it in a bucket with an air stone. But it should come out of your main tank for sure.

Mayleyboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A dead anemone will release toxins into your system, not including the ammonia spike dead livestock cause. Both these things coming from an anemone have the potential to nuke your tank. If you have the resources, you could set up its own quarantine tank, spot feed it, and see if it will still eat and maybe come back. Even putting it in a bucket with an air stone. But it should come out of your main tank for sure.

Ok thanks so much !!! I hope he makes it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty bleached nem, bud. I’d cut your losses and get it out of your tank before it runs the risk of doing some serious damage. Sorry to see it go, losing livestock sucks.
No no no.

Bleached does not equal death. If you are going to give up on the nem anytime it looks weird or stressed out, anemones are not for you. This nem could recover just fine in time.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That nem doesnt even look that bad in that pic. Just bleached is all.

Mayleyboo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no.

Bleached does not equal death. If you are going to give up on the nem anytime it looks weird or stressed out, anemones are not for you. This nem could recover just fine in time.

So I bought another fan before work and set it up. he went back to his original spot.

62BDEFD0-15F5-4BA3-8D4F-9826ECC0B1DE.png

mileysmustache

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no no.

No need to get harsh, I was simply saying I would quarantine at that point. I actually have a recovering nem right now who was nearly as bleached as this, and since OP was unaware of the dangers of dead nems, that was why I suggested pulling.

OP, if you choose to leave it in the tank, make sure you are carefully monitoring. If it detaches from the rock, or its foot is no longer sticky, or if it starts to smell, those are all signs it is dying and more intervention is required. In the meantime, keep wracking your brain and see if you can think of any environmental changes that might have caused it to stress. You can also offer it some very small pieces of frozen mysis or uncooked shrimp. You want to keep the pieces very little because digesting food takes quite a bit of energy for an anemone, but it could probably use the extra boost with so much bleaching, as the xooanthelae that give it its color also provide nutrition and a bleached nem means they’re gone.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to get harsh, I was simply saying I would quarantine at that point. I actually have a recovering nem right now who was nearly as bleached as this, and since OP was unaware of the dangers of dead nems, that was why I suggested pulling.

OP, if you choose to leave it in the tank, make sure you are carefully monitoring. If it detaches from the rock, or its foot is no longer sticky, or if it starts to smell, those are all signs it is dying and more intervention is required. In the meantime, keep wracking your brain and see if you can think of any environmental changes that might have caused it to stress. You can also offer it some very small pieces of frozen mysis or uncooked shrimp. You want to keep the pieces very little because digesting food takes quite a bit of energy for an anemone, but it could probably use the extra boost with so much bleaching, as the xooanthelae that give it its color also provide nutrition and a bleached nem means they’re gone.

No, you weren't saying quarantine in this post. And it was poor advice. Sorry if offended.

That’s a pretty bleached nem, bud. I’d cut your losses and get it out of your tank before it runs the risk of doing some serious damage. Sorry to see it go, losing livestock sucks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back