Tree ID help?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
20,513
Reaction score
45,807
Location
Carmel, Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tree nerds?

My new lot has several dead ash trees, I want to know what kind of trees I have and if any others need treated for Ash Borer.


IMG_4222.JPG
Obviously dead Ash tree destroyed by emerald ash borer.
IMG_4223.JPG
Unknown ID? Tree trunks behind it


IMG_4224.JPG
Ash tree leaf from a dead Ash with some small growth



IMG_4225.JPG

Another tree I'd like ID'd



Anyone help? What I want to be 100% sure of is that the first and third leaf photos are not from
Ash trees that I need to treat, but I'd like to know what they are as well.

If it's any help, they are native trees to Central Indiana, not planted by builders or developers, allegedly.
 
Nobody?
 
You may try the local library for a tree book. They often have great visual pictures and sketches which mitigate the need to understand tree vocabulary (lobes, nuts, fruit, etc.).

For what it's worth, if ash borers went through already the trees in question would be dead if the borers liked them. That ash looks like it's been dead at least 2-3 years.
 
You may try the local library for a tree book. They often have great visual pictures and sketches which mitigate the need to understand tree vocabulary (lobes, nuts, fruit, etc.).

For what it's worth, if ash borers went through already the trees in question would be dead if the borers liked them. That ash looks like it's been dead at least 2-3 years.
That was my thought as well but I've heard that they spare smaller trees, and a couple smaller trees have the same leaves as the dead ash (some growth is coming out of the trunks on a few of them, very little though and it's definitely coming from the dead trunk of an obviously infected ash borer ash tree
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new