Trickling Noise in RS Reefer 250

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from socks to Red Sea media cups, and there's a trickle coming from the "sliders" that the cups drop into. Has anyone else had this issue, and how did you remedy it? I've already tried adjusting the return pump flow (Jebao DCT-4000) and the overflow with no luck. Return has been running at 70%

PXL_20201212_171656288.MP.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cups have a looser seal with the holding trays. You might be able to use filter floss to make it a bit tighter, or do 1 cup, one filter sock.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it looks Ike the water is overflowing over the tray your cups are clogged or you have to much flow from your return pump. I have a rsr 250 with a 3000L return pump but I like the mesh socks as they are very easy to clean

Johnny_xb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my reefer 250 when using the cups. Not sure how loud yours is, but mine isn't loud enough to hear it with the doors closed. It usually only happens when the filters need to be changed out.

dlish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue when I switched to a cup. My return water was flowing over the cup because I had too much media in it. I switched my media and the water drops into the cup now and less dripping noise. It still has a little drop here and there but not like before. FWIW I have carbon and gfo in 2 separate media bags at the bottom of the cup. Then on amazon I bought a sheet of 2" media sponge and a sheet of filter pad. I used an old filter sock to outline the sponge and filter pad to make cutouts to drop them in the cup. Make the sponge a little bigger than the cup and it will fit snuggly and not float to the top. At first I had a 2" foam on top of the carbon and gfo, 1 layer of filter pad (about 3/4 to 1 in thick) and then another 2" foam on top. That was too thick and too restrictive. So I sliced one of the foam pieces in half (thickness wise) so it was only 1" and all is good. So you can buy 1" foam and be good.

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cups have a looser seal with the holding trays. You might be able to use filter floss to make it a bit tighter, or do 1 cup, one filter sock.
That's EXACTLY what I did, and it did help a ton. I have the sock in first, followed by the cup. The cups definitely have less of a lip. Would have expected better from Red Sea.

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue when I switched to a cup. My return water was flowing over the cup because I had too much media in it. I switched my media and the water drops into the cup now and less dripping noise. It still has a little drop here and there but not like before. FWIW I have carbon and gfo in 2 separate media bags at the bottom of the cup. Then on amazon I bought a sheet of 2" media sponge and a sheet of filter pad. I used an old filter sock to outline the sponge and filter pad to make cutouts to drop them in the cup. Make the sponge a little bigger than the cup and it will fit snuggly and not float to the top. At first I had a 2" foam on top of the carbon and gfo, 1 layer of filter pad (about 3/4 to 1 in thick) and then another 2" foam on top. That was too thick and too restrictive. So I sliced one of the foam pieces in half (thickness wise) so it was only 1" and all is good. So you can buy 1" foam and be good.
I did the same in the cup that I kept! Not the sponge, but I did cut some of the thicker filter pad into a circle to hold the media (matrix) in place, and keep sludge from building up on it. It did help to remove some media. I think at most, maybe half full seems to work best.

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi it looks Ike the water is overflowing over the tray your cups are clogged or you have to much flow from your return pump. I have a rsr 250 with a 3000L return pump but I like the mesh socks as they are very easy to clean
Just ordered 225 micron socks, so we'll see how much of a difference it makes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back