Tridacna maxima acting weird

FinnWessemius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I've had this clam for about 2 years now. And the last couple of weeks it's been acting strange. The intake siphon has gotten way bigger then that it used to be. Besides that, the outflow siphon looks closed up... Pictures are below.
My tank parameters:
Temp: 25°
Salinity: 35 promille
Dkh: 9
Mag: 1350
Calc: 450
No3: 5
Po4: 0.02
1000021328.jpg
1000021327.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do this from time to time, it's how they filter the water to feed. Looks like there's good growth on the shell, but only thing parameter-wise that could be an issue is the low PO4. By our test kits, that's virtually zero, so maybe feed your fish a little more. If the inhalant siphon gets bigger and the clam doesn't react to stimulus, light changes, then I would worry. Just observe for now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FinnWessemius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do this from time to time, it's how they filter the water to feed. Looks like there's good growth on the shell, but only thing parameter-wise that could be an issue is the low PO4. By our test kits, that's virtually zero, so maybe feed your fish a little more. If the inhalant siphon gets bigger and the clam doesn't react to stimulus, light changes, then I would worry. Just observe for now.
Thanks for your reply!

He Is very reactive for shadows and light changes. But the way he looks on the picture is how he's been acting for about 2 to 3 weeks.... Also, doesn't it concern you that the outflow valve is all shriveled up? He has very great she'll growth but he's never acted like this before. Also, I added 2 other clams like 2 months ago. One of them is a rescue clam that was almost dead. One of he's mantles is a little pinched, but overall looks good. Maybe this is a case of PMD?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FinnWessemius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply!

He Is very reactive for shadows and light changes. But the way he looks on the picture is how he's been acting for about 2 to 3 weeks.... Also, doesn't it concern you that the outflow valve is all shriveled up? He has very great she'll growth but he's never acted like this before. Also, I added 2 other clams like 2 months ago. One of them is a rescue clam that was almost dead. One of he's mantles is a little pinched, but overall looks good. Maybe this is a case of PMD?
Also. Before the clam started acting weird, he was looking like this
1000019586.jpg
so at first I thought it was acting like that because of the zoas, so I removed them as much as possible. But in the two pictures you can clearly see the difference of his health imo. Also in this picture you can see the clam I rescued. If you take a close look on the right mantle almost at the underside of the clam you can see what I'm talking about as it goes fot the pinched mantle.

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PMD would start with the outer mantle first, but it could be a reaction to the other clams? But my guess, it would've reacted to the other clam's issues sooner or shortly after they were added to the system. It's hard to see the exhalant siphon in the pic.

Upvote 0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I've had this clam for about 2 years now. And the last couple of weeks it's been acting strange. The intake siphon has gotten way bigger then that it used to be. Besides that, the outflow siphon looks closed up... Pictures are below.
My tank parameters:
Temp: 25°
Salinity: 35 promille
Dkh: 9
Mag: 1350
Calc: 450
No3: 5
Po4: 0.02
1000021328.jpg
1000021327.jpg
What PAR is it getting?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FinnWessemius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMD would start with the outer mantle first, but it could be a reaction to the other clams? But my guess, it would've reacted to the other clam's issues sooner or shortly after they were added to the system. It's hard to see the exhalant siphon in the pic.
Alright. So, if you look at the first picture, sou
What PAR is it getting?

What PAR is it getting?
It gets around 200 par. I would say that's not enough but he's been growing like crazy under these light settings. Also, if I try to remove it, it's impossible because of his muscle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FinnWessemius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oeps, something went wrong with replying.. my question was, if you take a look at the first picture. Would you b concerned?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FinnWessemius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maxima just above has no shell growth at all, so I wouldn't say PMD, unless it was suffering from PMD and wasn't growing? The older clam can be reacting to the new ones?
How would you say it is reacting to the other clams? Reacting as in communicating? Or being ticked off

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would you say it is reacting to the other clams? Reacting as in communicating? Or being ticked off
PMD is thought to be caused by a pathogen that's spread from one clam to another in close proximity to another. So if you added the two clams and they weren't free of the pathogen, it could be "reacting" or infected? When dipping clams, it's best to place them in a different system/tank other than what they came from and not with other clams who are free of the pathogen. I would observe and see what happens and hopefully it will "correct" itself over time. But if it doesn't get better, then you'll have to consider removing or separating the clams. If the "treated" clams, the one above your old one doesn't show new shell growth within a week or so, then it's mostly likely not going to make it. Your established clam still looks good on growth, so I would observe for now. You should read through @OrionN thread about treating PMD in this section and follow the protocols.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

FinnWessemius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PMD is thought to be caused by a pathogen that's spread from one clam to another in close proximity to another. So if you added the two clams and they weren't free of the pathogen, it could be "reacting" or infected? When dipping clams, it's best to place them in a different system/tank other than what they came from and not with other clams who are free of the pathogen. I would observe and see what happens and hopefully it will "correct" itself over time. But if it doesn't get better, then you'll have to consider removing or separating the clams. If the "treated" clams, the one above your old one doesn't show new shell growth within a week or so, then it's mostly likely not going to make it. Your established clam still looks good on growth, so I would observe for now. You should read through @OrionN thread about treating PMD in this section and follow the protocols.
Thanks for the helpful information.

I'll keep an eye out for any other bad signs.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back