Trident controlled dosing question

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon setup and I’m dosing alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.
There’s 20 frags (mix of sps and lps mostly) and I’m dosing 400ml a day each of alkalinity and calcium. That seems really high to me, but I don’t know what is causing such high amounts to be used, or if there’s anything wrong.
The Apex controls the DOS pump and I know that both sides often run at the same time (there’s no staggering). Is this normal? The water is crystal clear, I thought precipitation would cause it to be cloudy. I’m trying to maintain 10dkh, 450 Calcium and 1350 magnesium.
62CD7D0A-BDD8-4034-8A41-00F123E4CE7E.png
62CD7D0A-BDD8-4034-8A41-00F123E4CE7E.png

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of coralline growth? That could use up a good bit. Also, it takes more to maintain higher numbers like 10.0 ALK thank it would for something lower. What that is depends on your tanks uptake, but I would say your numbers are pretty stable with the dose of 400. If you were seeing major fluctuations it would be one thing, but it looks solid from your two pictures.

You could see precipitation on things that generate heat like the heaters. If there isn’t really any in that area your tank is probably using it.

OP
OP
reeferericb

reeferericb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lot of coralline growth? That could use up a good bit. Also, it takes more to maintain higher numbers like 10.0 ALK thank it would for something lower. What that is depends on your tanks uptake, but I would say your numbers are pretty stable with the dose of 400. If you were seeing major fluctuations it would be one thing, but it looks solid from your two pictures.

You could see precipitation on things that generate heat like the heaters. If there isn’t really any in that area your tank is probably using it.
The pictures are identical, so I guess it’s good that they look so similar.
Thank you. The only weird thing is the sand bed seems really clumpy. I don’t see anything abnormal beyond that. Both lines drip into my sump and they’re separated by a few inches (no chance of cross contamination that way). The dosing is very consistent, except when I add coral. I added half my corals a few days ago and it doubled my dosing requirements.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the amount seems strange to me. I think you are getting precipitation with your sandbed. I personally would slowly bring down the targets to about 8 dKH and 420 ppm and see what happens.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back