Trident or Alkatronic? What do you prefer & why

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

Paul Kachirsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide what to get. Trident or alkatronic. What do you use and why?

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with alkatronic eventho i originally was going for trident. In retrospect im really happy about it.

* Trident reagents seem hard to come by
* Trident have to be sent for maintainance which is total rubbish. You can fully maintain and change everything yourself on alkatronic
* seem to be alot of problems with trident. Units get deliviered with various faults. Lose hoses and what not
* trident test vials gets some buildup over time and it affect results. This havent happend at all with my alkatronic for the 1.5 years i've had it

Could probably come up with more but thats from the top of my head

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide what to get. Trident or alkatronic. What do you use and why?
Do you already have an Apex or plan to get one? If you answer yes to either of those it should be a no brainer, get a Trident. Cost wise too you can do more with an Apex El + Trident than an Alkatronic at similar pricing.
While yes there are reports of issues as mentioned above but in my experience it's great and there is a higher number of positive reviews than negative, reagent supply isn't in short supply, at least not any more as covid did impact supply for a while. My guess some people over purchase and put the supply under strain, panic buying when they hear it's running low.
I don't know much about the Alkatronic but from what I hear it's a good piece of hardware.

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the trident if you have apex, I have it for almost a year and no issues with maintenance.. only addition part you need to purchase are the reagent guide needles ($15 eBay) so it saves you on reagents fluid. Plus if you have dos hooked up to it, it can auto dose daily for you after each test performed. Like the commenter above me said, reagents can be hard to find but, only the 1 year supply.. 2 months is always available somewhere.

Saltydog reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run both and prefer the trident for the fact the trident reagents are pre packaged. Alkatronic has room for human error needing a mix of 4 to 1 ratio of reagent.
Rodi water has to be perfect zero.
Measurements need to be perfect to have a valuable test result.

And alkatronic only connects to ios.

Can never get it to connect to Android.

Happy reefing

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use alkatronic. I make my own reagent for practically free.

Plus I mix up many months of reagent at a time. I don’t have to be concerned about being home or not when it’s time to replace reagent. In fact, if I didn’t travel, I probably would not use an alkalinity controller at all.

Ive never used a trident but I think you have at least 2 real good options so pick what works for you.

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use alkatronic. I make my own reagent for practically free.

Plus I mix up many months of reagent at a time. I don’t have to be concerned about being home or not when it’s time to replace reagent. In fact, if I didn’t travel, I probably would not use an alkalinity controller at all.

Ive never used a trident but I think you have at least 2 real good options so pick what works for you.
How is the app for the alktronic i heard of people complaining aboit it but thats when it first came out

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had both:
Alkatronic much closer to ICP results
Reagent is cheap,
Hhad for a year with no issues vs. constant calibration with Trident.
After a month with Alkatronic I sold my Trident. I consider the Alkatronic to be in my top 5 of all equipment I've owned in my over 40 years in the hobby. And that says a lot if you could see my garage.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the app for the alktronic i heard of people complaining aboit it but thats when it first came out
I have not had trouble with it. It works well enough for my purposes which is looking at test results and doing calibrations. I can also easily change testing frequency.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you pulled the trigger on a system yet? I bet you'll go with the Alkatronic, I just purchased one my self, im curious to see more reviews on it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back