Tried an alternative method of dosing phosphate RX.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I love the way phosphate RX works, but I’m not a big fan of the way it clouds the tank and I have noticed my tangs rate of breathing goes up for an hour after I dose, and I even though it does not seem to bother him long term, I would rather avoid stressing him out.
So this is what I tried tonight and it seemed to work out well.
I turned the return pump off and after the water drained into the sump I hooked up a temporary 10 micron sock in the sump and ran a hose from a small pump I placed in the sump into the sock. I then dosed phosphate RX into the temporary sock. I let the pump run into the sock for about an hour while and I also kept my skimmer running so it also would help remove the precipitated phosphate.
After an hour I tested the sump water that I treated. ( my sump is about 1/3 the volume I’m my display) and I had dropped the phosphate level from .39 to .03. I then restarted the return pump and I had Zero clouding of the tank water and no visible stress to my fish.
When I tested my tank water which has been .39 before the treatments, it read .27 which is about how much I like to drop my phosphates at a time. Im really happy being able to to use the fast acting phosphate RX, and not having to cloud up and stress out my display.
5D1A9435-B739-4EC3-9E7E-494712AE700A.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A more comfortable/easier way to do this is to use a 2 liter IV bag with diluted Lanthanum (Phosphate Rx in your case) tuned up to 1 drop per second, dosed into a 5-10 micron sock which gets constant water flow through it.
It'll take several hours to slowly drip everything, but thanks to the combination of the slow dosage and the use of the sock it does not cloud the water, nor expose the fish to a sudden high dosage of lanthanum either.
And as a bonus, you don't have to turn off your return pump, or any other equipment in the process.

You can look for more details about this method on google and YouTube, quite a few people used it in the past with great success, me included.

OP
OP
Mike in CT

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A more comfortable/easier way to do this is to use a 2 liter IV bag with diluted Lanthanum (Phosphate Rx in your case) tuned up to 1 drop per second, dosed into a 5-10 micron sock which gets constant water flow through it.
It'll take several hours to slowly drip everything, but thanks to the combination of the slow dosage and the use of the sock it does not cloud the water, nor expose the fish to a sudden high dosage of lanthanum either.
And as a bonus, you don't have to turn off your return pump, or any other equipment in the process.

You can look for more details about this method on google and YouTube, quite a few people used it in the past with great success, me included.
I have done sort of this method in the past by adding the LC to my top off water and it worked well. One reason I like the method I tried today was that I was able to contain all precipitation to sump and was able to aggressively filer it out instead of having it all circulate throughout the whole system.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back