Trigger Fish Question

James Smythe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, nearly all species are inherently aggressive and territorial, such as the clown triggerfish. And so, they harass other fish, biting their fins, chasing them etc

OP
OP
Ships

Ships

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but more for aggressive reasons, not for sustenance.
So you probably couldn't put a radiata lionfish with a trigger? Correct? Asking because I think I've read you can't before but want to make sure.

James Smythe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you probably couldn't put a radiata lionfish with a trigger? Correct? Asking because I think I've read you can't before but want to make sure.
I would say correct. Of course, all individual fish vary, and it's more than likely that some individual radiatas would be fine with some individual triggers. Perhaps the author of what you read was speaking from just one experience. In general though, the long and thin fins would be very appealing to the trigger, I think.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen lions and triggers in the same tank, not sure what aggression was like between the two, but I would think that they would be okay if they have plenty of space.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers are my favorite fish and I’ve owned many types of triggers over the years and they aren’t as aggressive as some make them out to be except a queen trigger, never get a queen. As long as they are well fed they are actually pretty mellow towards other types of fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of triggers. What species? And what tank size while we're at it?

In general, I would say that that triggers and lions don't mix, but Xanthichthys like bluethroat, cross hatch, sargassum are planktivores and might be worth trying.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
HotRocks had a Blueline in a 55g QT and he took out a puffer and almost a emperor angel before he was removed. Would stay away from that one also.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HotRocks had a Blueline in a 55g QT and he took out a puffer and almost a emperor angel before he was removed. Would stay away from that one also.
A fish in a quarantine tank especially a trigger and one with some attitude like a blueline is not gonna be a happy camper, and a recipe for some major aggression towards other fish in the quarantine tank. The main issue being a barren quarantine tank with no extensive rock work to hang out around, sleep in, fed less than needed, etc... That same fish in a dt most likely woulda been just fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back