Triggers being triggers?

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Huma Huma for 4 years, rectangle 2 years and my Asissi about 9 months. They lived in perfect harmony until this week. Two of them beat the c**p out of the Huma. Is this a case of triggers being triggers or something else? He didn’t look sick and even ate 2 hours after putting him in isolation. Hadn’t seen him for 3 days after the attack and assumed he was dead.

IMG_0070.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they just are maturing....which brings along additional aggression unfortunately. 150 isn't a small tank, but triggers can be unpredictable.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s a standard 5 foot 150 then yeah it could eventually get ugly. My other thought on possible reasons is all three of those triggers are very similar in appearance and while technically different species they may look similar enough to be viewed as the same species?? Idk just a thought

Fowlr83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joeyrm7 is there a substantial size difference? That could have played a part. If similar in size, I would honestly say that it is a case of triggers being triggers. @JC1977 made a valid point. They are all part of the Rhinecanthus and their mature rate is unknown. I previously housed a Titan, Clown, Golden Heart, Queen, Undulated, Picasso and a Niger in a 180 with a few other fish and they were all peaceful with no aggression towards each other. Currently in my recently acquired 180 I've a 3 inch Niger that is an anomaly of terror. It attacks the Titan I have now but avoids the Yellow Margin that it was housed with. The Niger has also ate a lunar wrasse. Yes, ate it! It is currently isolated in Qt unfortunately, but from my experience they all have individual unpredictable personalities. I'm on the fence on what to do with it its a nice deep blue with growing tail streamers. I have rarely seen them in personal tanks or the LFT with anal fin streamers. I have only owned 1 trigger while in the hobby that could not be housed with anything and that was Blueline roughly about 10 inches it would snarl and constantly bite the glass of the tank I owned at the time.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back