Blue Throat Trigger Help

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Looking for some help on my blue throat trigger. I purchased him and he did great in QT. Didn’t hide at all and ate like a pig. I added him to my 220 Gallon. From a distance I can see him out with no issue, however if I get near the tank he hides. Well this makes it difficult to feed as he stays hidden for about an hour after going near the tank/feeding which results in him not eating at all.

Been a week now and have not seen him eat. Starting to get concerned he will just waste away from not eating. Any suggestions? How long can they go without food?

Thanks in advance!

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Looking for some help on my blue throat trigger. I purchased him and he did great in QT. Didn’t hide at all and ate like a pig. I added him to my 220 Gallon. From a distance I can see him out with no issue, however if I get near the tank he hides. Well this makes it difficult to feed as he stays hidden for about an hour after going near the tank/feeding which results in him not eating at all.

Been a week now and have not seen him eat. Starting to get concerned he will just waste away from not eating. Any suggestions? How long can they go without food?

Thanks in advance!
Mine did that for a few weeks when I first introduced him as the first fish until I added new fish. It seems they feel safer being in the open when there are fish present but it could also be the contrary. What are his tankmates?

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry should have said that too. I have a Yellow tang, Whitetail tang, Blonde naso tang, Desjardini tang, Royal gramma, Melanurus wrasse, Clownfish x2, Hippo Tang, Red Sea Regal Angel, Blue spot goby, Blue spotted puffer, Pintail Fairy Wrasse, Coral Beauty Angel

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they do that. Kudos to you for quarantining him. That allows him to build up reserves for times just like this.

Mine was pretty shy in QT for the first week. And shy in my display for the first week as well. Especially when I would approach the tank.

So long as he’s not being bullied or harassed he’ll come out in time. Hunger will take over and he’ll eat.

Mine was being harassed by my huge Hippo Tang, so the tang went to the QT tank for a 3 week timeout. Now the Blue Throat is doing great.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they do that. Kudos to you for quarantining him. That allows him to build up reserves for times just like this.

Mine was pretty shy in QT for the first week. And shy in my display for the first week as well. Especially when I would approach the tank.

So long as he’s not being bullied or harassed he’ll come out in time. Hunger will take over and he’ll eat.

Mine was being harassed by my huge Hippo Tang, so the tang went to the QT tank for a 3 week timeout. Now the Blue Throat is doing great.
yea if it is being harassed, remove the aggressors temporarily until it can stand its ground. You can put them in the sump or somewhere fine for a week or two

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also hid and I was also very concerned. Now he's like a puppy. Give it a bit more time and let him come out on his own. Stay clear of the front glass if you can.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair and even as a pair they were babies when I got them. My yellow tang would bully them and they would hide in a cave and seemly pout and sulk. After a few weeks they realized they were bigger than the YT and ignore everyone and follow me around waiting for food. One of the two actually bit my finger thinking I had food. Thankfully their teeth are not as sharp as they look.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20g observation tank my blue throat had a favorite hiding spot. So when it was time to put him in my DT I moved his hiding spot in also. He stayed in it most of the time. After lights out he spent the first couple night trying to escape. Lots of splashing at the surface. Then he settled down but always returned to his safe spot if someone was near the tank or at night. After a week or so he was comfortable moving around the tank. That was over 6 months ago. Now he's the first one out front when I approach. Here's a pic of him in his hiding spot a few months ago. He doesn't fit so well anymore.
20230528_194037.jpg

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. Makes me feel better that this is more common. There was initial aggression from my yellow tang, however that only lasted a day and seems undisturbed. Guess time will tell!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back