Trigger issue

Msmerek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm going to sound like a complete newbie on this one. I just bought a bursa trigger and after 2 days of being in his new home he has what looks like ich. Now I know this can typically happen from being stressed but I just don't get it. I have yet to have this issue in new fish. Didn't even get it from the hippo I once had. He's eating fine and swimming fine and has lots of energy and all of his color. Any ideas?

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm going to sound like a complete newbie on this one. I just bought a bursa trigger and after 2 days of being in his new home he has what looks like ich. Now I know this can typically happen from being stressed but I just don't get it. I have yet to have this issue in new fish. Didn't even get it from the hippo I once had. He's eating fine and swimming fine and has lots of energy and all of his color. Any ideas?
In QT or in DT? Any chance of a pic?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, stress does not cause fish to develop white spots, stress will cause fish to become pale and colors fade away. White spots indicate parasites. If you can take a picture of the fish so we can have closer look at it, many people misdiagnosed velvet for ich (me included) and this can have unpleasant consequences. Although from your description it might be just ich if its still energetic, just watch him closely for any symptoms and I suggest if it is still in quarantine to start treatment, or if it is in display you can either remove all fish and treat or if it is ich you can manage it so fish can fight it on their own.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days with notable ich makes me fear velvet is far more likely - especially for that fast of progression on a trigger. Can you post photos of the fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see pictures as well before giving a possible diagnosis. I agree with the others, however, that stress doesn't cause ich, ich is already present and can show on any fish in the infected system who's immune system is less than optimal. Otherwise, it mostly stays in the gills where it's hidden from the naked eye.

OP
OP
Msmerek

Msmerek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in qt with no issues and now in dt after being in there a day it started getting these little white spots. Hard to see in the pictures he is a fast little guy don't wanna stop moving around

20170626_210345.jpg

20170626_210223.jpg

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell, from the front looks like ich, but the sides look like velvet. Both have similar treatment, I would suggest removing all fish and start treating with copper or CP.
For how long did you quarantine it. Sometimes if fish has been exposed to copper below therapeutical range or less than the recommended duration (maybe at LFS or supplied) it might take days to weeks until symptoms start showing.
Do you notice any symptoms on the fish, heavy breathing, sensitivity to light, swimming by power head.

OP
OP
Msmerek

Msmerek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the funny thing he shows no symptoms other than he is trying to scratch his self on the rocks

OP
OP
Msmerek

Msmerek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I never buy fish from petco I've always had issues with them but I couldn't pass this guy up.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most major stores run copper in their display tanks in order to eliminate parasites and reduce losses. Unfortunately, they don't dose the recommended dosage and end up decreasing the number of parasites rather than eradicating them, so parasites will be present but not in a high concentration to be fatal or show clear symptoms.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco isn't allowed to use any medications in their tanks. The spots on the trigger do look to be much too small and numerous to be ich. I'd lean towards velvet as well unfortunately. Petco, not being able to use any meds in their tanks, is a veritable buffet of diseases and parasites.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be ich and velvet.

I would remove all your fish and QT them as if they were brand new additions. Copper for 30 days and then deworm them using Prazipro. Hit the reset button.

Go fallow in the DT for 76 days. Again, hit the reset button.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco isn't allowed to use any medications in their tanks. The spots on the trigger do look to be much too small and numerous to be ich. I'd lean towards velvet as well unfortunately. Petco, not being able to use any meds in their tanks, is a veritable buffet of diseases and parasites.

FWIW the marine salesperson at the Petco near me said they use Melafix in all their reef tanks.

OP
OP
Msmerek

Msmerek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is an update. This morning looking at him the spots are starting to go away. It is way less noticeable than yesterday and I didn't remove him from the tank. Could it be that he had it before coming to my tank and it just is going away being in a cleaner environment?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont go away, it will still be there but the fish will develop immunity, but any new fish will get infected (if it is velvet or ich). Either that or the parasite is dropping off to the next stage of the life cycle.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will drop out of the fish as tomont to reproduce, thats why many people think it healed up, but then it appears again. This can take few days or few weeks, so it might give sense of secuirity.

OP
OP
Msmerek

Msmerek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the only way to get rid of it would be a copper treatment Huh? Man that will kill all of my inverts

Back