Trigger sump and media cup question

fjimmy123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone been able to use a media cup in a trigger sump...reason am asking is because the area where the sucks are is enclosed so cant fit a media cup...I have a Sapphire 34...thank you

dtracy1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone been able to use a media cup in a trigger sump...reason am asking is because the area where the sucks are is enclosed so cant fit a media cup...I have a Sapphire 34...thank you

I have and emerald 34 and the red media cups I bought are round when the trigger sump is an oval shape. I'm trying to shape the cups to an oval shape with no luck.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wondering the same for my sapphire 26. I saw there is now a "soft" media cup that I'm considering trying to see if it works. I believe it's made out of silicone so theoretically should work.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good DIY project.

Cut the felt off of a sock frame and make a cup out the plastic mesh used for DIY lids. Join them with aquarium silicone...

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to 75micron mesh and trying it out for now. But I was intrigued by the filter cup as it would be easier to just throw filter floss in there rather than change out socks. Although the mesh seems like it would be easier since it does not need to be washed in the same manner as felt.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you clean/change yours at 50 microns? That's what I wanted to use but didn't want them to clog to quickly. I'm on day 3 with the 75 micron and it's probably going to need a change when I get home from work today.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger system sump with marine depot and I have filter cups. Is this what you mean?

FF1E28CD-C117-4FF8-9B55-CDFAF53EC615.jpeg

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trigger system sump with marine depot and I have filter cups. Is this what you mean?

FF1E28CD-C117-4FF8-9B55-CDFAF53EC615.jpeg
That's is Marine Depot's own sump. The smaller (1-2 filter sock) trigger sumps have a small compartment that is very hard to get normal filter socks into, nevermind a filter cup.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you clean/change yours at 50 microns? That's what I wanted to use but didn't want them to clog to quickly. I'm on day 3 with the 75 micron and it's probably going to need a change when I get home from work today.
Twice a week is good. I do it for nutrient reasons not because it is clogged. I find they do not clog up if you turn off return pump while feeding and keep tank water clean and clear.

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a 50 micron mesh sock better at catching particulates then say a 200 micron felt sock?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lower the number the smaller the particles it catches. 50 micron means only things less than 50 microns will pass through it.

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt matter if it is mesh or felt. microns is microns
Yea I understand the micron sizes, I was just more curious if felt vs mesh made a large difference in catching debris. I've used felt always, I just purchased 80 micron mesh socks from Amazon. I'm waiting for the delivery. I'm hoping the mesh socks will catch more and be easier to clean, I also picked up a filter media cup to try out as well

Thomas Wieczorek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean them 2x a week for best performance since the smaller micron size.
Yea, I dont mind rinsing them daily. If it makes the tank overall more healthy I'm all for it. I have 3 filter sock holes. I might try a combination of media.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back