Trigger Systems Platinum Setup Video Incomplete

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I watched the "Setup" video and even looked through the BRSTV videos and it seems to me they leave out quite a bit of information. I watched the video. Followed the instructions...then when the video ends...I've got parts all over the place and bits that were never explained.

If I missed a video on the trigger website that answers these questions...please point me in the right direction.

#1. It mentions nothing about the bulkheads that come with the the sump. I understand people are going to reply that it's pretty standard and there are also many ways to do it. I get it...but I'm not very creative...I want DETAILED instructions on how/where those bulkheads go. The two together are clearly a primary/secondary or primary/emergency and dump directly into the filter roller area. I got that. My setup came with a 3rd bulkhead which could either be used to attach another drain (emergency in my case) into the 2nd chamber....OR...as I set it up...in the final camber to connect the pump to my return plumbing. I used silicon from the pump to the bulkhead...then flexible PVC from the other side of the bulkhead to my plumbing. The sump is drilled so that the bulkhead fits either the 2nd or last chamber.

#2. The refugium to return section setup. I have two plates and a "sponge" of some sort. I had to look at a BRS video to find a split second where it showed that. No mention of this in the "initial setup" video from trigger systems. 10 seconds in the video to explain would fix this problem.

#3. Top off/dosing quick connectors. No mention anywhere how to install. Yeah...it really is a no brainer...but for this kinda money I would expect to see at least 10 seconds in the video dedicated to this.

#4. The probes and/or rubber O-rings. 2nd chamber has housing for four probes. Conveniently my Neptune has four probes so it's really easy. However also need to dedicate 10 seconds in the video to this one. It also appears the "what's in the box" part of the website lists six small and two large O-rings. I did not get any "large" O-rings in my bags of parts.

#5 Cord holders...found some pictures on this forum of how one person set it up...Just not sure that's "correct". Need another 10 seconds in the video to clear up the confusion

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I empathize with your plight. So many pieces of hardware with so little information that leave the end user to figure it out on there own. I think that would be ok with something that’s <50 dollars, however we spend hundreds.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I empathize with your plight. So many pieces of hardware with so little information that leave the end user to figure it out on there own. I think that would be ok with something that’s <50 dollars, however we spend hundreds.
Couldn't agree more. I will admit that most of the things I pointed out are pretty "minor"...but with the complexity of this stuff nowdays....would it really hurt them to print a set of instructions? I'm fine with the video. I suppose it saves them some money in the long run...but if you're going to do that...then it needs to be a complete start to finish unboxing all the way to startup/initial adjustment of the switches.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out where the O-rings go. I’ve looked all over to see where they would fit and noting in comparison to size. Anyone know where they would be used?

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm under the impression they are for any probes you install in the probe rack. I put the probe through the hole in the rack then slide the o-ring on the end and rolled it up to the bottom of the rack. To me that worked because it kept the probes in the rack.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm under the impression they are for any probes you install in the probe rack. I put the probe through the hole in the rack then slide the o-ring on the end and rolled it up to the bottom of the rack. To me that worked because it kept the probes in the rack.
Thank you, I put a couple on the return coupling side to help reduce vibration. I believe I have more and will use them just for this.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about those. Yeah...it comes with a couple of ~1.5 inch O-Rings...for the unions. It also has several ~0.5 inch O-Rings which were the ones I was thinking of.

Jrr007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figured out how the top off quick connect works. I install them, put my top off tubing in there, everything is fine. Then a couple of days later, I noticed the quick connectors are leaking out of the top, spilling ato water all down the side of my sump. I go to remove the tubing from the quick connect and it is like cemented in there. Does anyone know how to get the tubing out without cutting it off with scissors?

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait until the roller freeze up, fleece supports start spreading, float valve failing, I’m very mad at mine and wish I bought something else.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" fleece supports start spreading"

^This

The issue I'm having after one year is that the brackets that hold the rollers in place...are spreading "outward" so it takes very little pressure to pop the used/unused roll out of the bracket. the small little screws that hold the filter roller onto the sump can't be tightened enough. Eventually I'm going to have to put some type of rubber band or c clamp in place to pull the two sides of the roller together.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" fleece supports start spreading"

^This

The issue I'm having after one year is that the brackets that hold the rollers in place...are spreading "outward" so it takes very little pressure to pop the used/unused roll out of the bracket. the small little screws that hold the filter roller onto the sump can't be tightened enough. Eventually I'm going to have to put some type of rubber band or c clamp in place to pull the two sides of the roller together.
And then when you do that, guess what happens?!?….that gear snaps…they can send you a replacement but this thing is really making me mad.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't figured out how the top off quick connect works. I install them, put my top off tubing in there, everything is fine. Then a couple of days later, I noticed the quick connectors are leaking out of the top, spilling ato water all down the side of my sump. I go to remove the tubing from the quick connect and it is like cemented in there. Does anyone know how to get the tubing out without cutting it off with scissors?

Sorry I can't answer your questions directly...as I didn't get them to work either.

I couldn't really use them...but I wonder if it's a siphon issue. That was my case...the sump sits on the living room floor and the ATO does as well...had a siphon going so in the end I took a couple of feet of 1 inch PVC pipe...stuck that in the sump...then just put the ATO line into that...so the end of the ATO line is above the water level on my ATO.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then when you do that, guess what happens?!?….that gear snaps…they can send you a replacement but this thing is really making me mad.
I've been wondering about the long term durability of the filter roller setup. As soon as I noticed the spreading I started to take a closer look. I've had a couple of cases where a small snail made it's way into the sump and got caught between the filter rollers "guides" and the filter roller...which cause it to bind up. When I noticed the filter roll is torn...but wondering how much of that it's going to stand before the gear breaks or the motor craps out.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering about the long term durability of the filter roller setup. As soon as I noticed the spreading I started to take a closer look. I've had a couple of cases where a small snail made it's way into the sump and got caught between the filter rollers "guides" and the filter roller...which cause it to bind up. When I noticed the filter roll is torn...but wondering how much of that it's going to stand before the gear breaks or the motor craps out.
Yes small snails really mess mine up, along with those filter feeder growths on the rollers will catch the fleece as well. That normally would not bother me but all the issue combined, I really have buyers remorse on this.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes small snails really mess mine up, along with those filter feeder growths on the rollers will catch the fleece as well. That normally would not bother me but all the issue combined, I really have buyers remorse on this.
I've made it a habit to scrub the inside (as much as I can) to get those buggers off when I change filter rolls...but it's not easy or quick. Have to have one hand somehow hold the little roller still...while the other hand scrubs. Not idea unless you are some type of super flexible person..

Yeah...I really wanted the filter roller. That was my number one selling point. Wife didn't want to mess with socks if/when I'm away. I'd probably still buy this model if I had to do it all over again...but it's not without it's issues.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made it a habit to scrub the inside (as much as I can) to get those buggers off when I change filter rolls...but it's not easy or quick. Have to have one hand somehow hold the little roller still...while the other hand scrubs. Not idea unless you are some type of super flexible person..

Yeah...I really wanted the filter roller. That was my number one selling point. Wife didn't want to mess with socks if/when I'm away. I'd probably still buy this model if I had to do it all over again...but it's not without it's issues.
Why can’t they make those rollers removable! I asked the OEM and didn’t get a response if it was possible or not…it being a moving part it will break at some point…

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't answer your questions directly...as I didn't get them to work either.

I couldn't really use them...but I wonder if it's a siphon issue. That was my case...the sump sits on the living room floor and the ATO does as well...had a siphon going so in the end I took a couple of feet of 1 inch PVC pipe...stuck that in the sump...then just put the ATO line into that...so the end of the ATO line is above the water level on my ATO.
What I did was poke a hole in my ATO line inside of my container. It will shoot a small stream inside the brute then catch air to stop the siphon before it happens.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I’ve had is my expended roller side would pop off the gear. Then I took a closer look and it was the that the expended roller needed to be pulled slightly apart to sit inside the side hole and on the gear. Been working fine ever since. I like to go through and check all screw points when swapping out new rolls as part of my maintenance.

ReeferJay86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably didn’t push the hose far down enough inside the push lock. I had an issue like this on my top up for my kalkwasser container. As far as trying to pull it out, make sure you push down the ring on top of the push connect and pull the hose at the same time. When you push the ring down it releases the hose/tube. I would trim the hose once you get it out of the connector. Just make sure it’s a clean cut so it doesn’t tear the O-rings inside the quick connect.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can’t they make those rollers removable! I asked the OEM and didn’t get a response if it was possible or not…it being a moving part it will break at some point…

The only issue I’ve had is my expended roller side would pop off the gear. Then I took a closer look and it was the that the expended roller needed to be pulled slightly apart to sit inside the side hole and on the gear. Been working fine ever since. I like to go through and check all screw points when swapping out new rolls as part of my maintenance.

Well...there is a solution to our problems now...but it's going to cost you $230

Trigger systems now has a V2 of the Motor Controller.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back