Triggers in a Reef! How many of you are keeping (or have kept) them?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits and snails once they become aware of the potential predators (triggers) in the tank become nocturnal feeders, I have a lot of rock so they disappear when lights are on. I recently looked in the tank at 200am with a flashlight and counted 15 hermits I could see doing there thing along with around 8 snails. They are definitely survivalists and smart. Any type of shrimp like a cleaner, fire etc... definitely won’t make it long with my current triggers. The only trigger I had in a reef tank that didn’t bother a cleaner shrimp was a bluejaw years ago. Triggers have been my favorite fish since I started keeping saltwater tanks 30+ years ago and will always have them in my tanks regardless if it’s a fowlr or a mixed reef. I have 14 fish currently and they all get along and feed them a mix of Hikari frozen cubes between 8 to 12 cubes once a day in the evening.

Daoz126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hermits and snails once they become aware of the potential predators (triggers) in the tank become nocturnal feeders, I have a lot of rock so they disappear when lights are on. I recently looked in the tank at 200am with a flashlight and counted 15 hermits I could see doing there thing along with around 8 snails. They are definitely survivalists and smart. Any type of shrimp like a cleaner, fire etc... definitely won’t make it long with my current triggers. The only trigger I had in a reef tank that didn’t bother a cleaner shrimp was a bluejaw years ago. Triggers have been my favorite fish since I started keeping saltwater tanks 30+ years ago and will always have them in my tanks regardless if it’s a fowlr or a mixed reef. I have 14 fish currently and they all get along and feed them a mix of Hikari frozen cubes between 8 to 12 cubes once a day in the evening.
I have a boomerang and a humu picasso and they don't seem to pay attention to the crabs but I do feed them 2-3 times a day

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only noticed a change in their behavior when they started spawning. They would begin to reserve parts of the tank to themselves for a few days at a time. Other than that they don't bother much other than making the occasional SPS frag.
eac2727afd8a4742ec5b3b51c76403ce.jpg

Stunning tank @Ecvernon. Well done!

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have experience with a Humu Humu?

Had a small Humu (?1.5inch) in a fowlr that grew really quickly in a year (3inch). Decided the long spined urchin was lunch and dispatched it in 3 minutes. Then decided my volitan lionfish was an urchin in disguise and munched on its spines/fins until it was half its original size. I quickly got rid of the trigger. Humus are beautiful but very aggressive when they reach a certain size and will eat anything they can grab even if well fed. Your mileage may vary!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a small Humu (?1.5inch) in a fowlr that grew really quickly in a year (3inch). Decided the long spined urchin was lunch and dispatched it in 3 minutes. Then decided my volitan lionfish was an urchin in disguise and munched on its spines/fins until it was half its original size. I quickly got rid of the trigger. Humus are beautiful but very aggressive when they reach a certain size and will eat anything they can grab even if well fed. Your mileage may vary!

Unfortunately that is what I have heard. I am not only concern for mu CUC but also for my mandarin and gobies.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Tail (Sargassum) and a Niger in my aggressive FOWLR. The Red Tail has lots of personality, my Niger will occasionally get aggressive against my Red Coris Wrasse and Tomato Clown when feeding.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine got a Queen trigger when it was very small. He had no idea how big it would get....or how mean it would get. He had it in a 6 foot tank it it literally took up 1/3 of the tank My friend was physically afraid of the fish after he had been bitten several times. This was what he looked like anytime you approached the tank. ;Joyful :p

Trigger teeth.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine got a Queen trigger when it was very small. He had no idea how big it would get....or how mean it would get. He had it in a 6 foot tank it it literally took up 1/3 of the tank My friend was physically afraid of the fish after he had been bitten several times. This was what he looked like anytime you approached the tank. ;Joyful :p

Trigger teeth.jpg
The queen trigger is the most brutal trigger I’ve ever owned, learned my lesson 20+ years ago, long story short, it killed all tankmates then turned on me. I see them at the lfs hand size and they already have the crazy aggressive look.:mad:

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want a clown trigger so bad, but I've heard those guys are destined to go postal at some point without warning

Johnseye

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Humu and Niger in a fowlr many many years ago. Have a male Blue Throated in my reef now. My Fire shrimp is now gone and I suspect him. He's become the most aggressive eater in the tank. He's drawn blood biting me when I let the tip of my finger dip in the tank. Regardless Iove watching Triggers swim.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go postal?
Do you mean they jump?

No, it means go on a killing spree. You are probably too young to know about it. In 1986 a postal worker killed about 10-15 of his fellow workers. There were several other similar but smaller episodes after that all in post offices. It led to the phrase "going postal"

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snip Could I do a Niger or Humu Humu? Snip
I have a Niger in a mixed reef that has been there for over 2 years. I suspect he may eat my small snails but have no proof. He doesn't bother any other fish which include tangs clowns Foxface rabbit fish and eel. I also have 2 cleaner shrimp which were introduced after the trigger and they have been fine for several months.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The queen trigger is the most brutal trigger I’ve ever owned, learned my lesson 20+ years ago, long story short, it killed all tankmates then turned on me. I see them at the lfs hand size and they already have the crazy aggressive look.:mad:
I've been surrounded by them while diving for lobster! I usually have to sacrifice a lobster to them so I can make it to the boat with the rest! We literally have to beat them off at times with the lobster snares!!

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a niger, but after a year it started tasting everything. Removed and corals are much happier. Only other difference really is that the shoaling fishes don't shoal as much as when a predator was about!

sam.veilleux30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been surrounded by them while diving for lobster! I usually have to sacrifice a lobster to them so I can make it to the boat with the rest! We literally have to beat them off at times with the lobster snares!!
What size of triggers are we speaking of?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of cross hatch triggers. Problem was they were secretly eating fish when lights came on. Lost a few until I discovered their morning appetite.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back