Trip to OBX

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I'm taking a small vaca to the OBX region of N. Carolina(kittyhawk to be specific), just curious if there was anyone in the area that could share some LFS's? Not opposed to a couple hour drive either, were on vaca with nothing to do but relax. The wife and I both like visiting LFS's, so might be a good day trip.

I looked in the N. Carolina reef club section but that was mostly dead. Thought I might get a few more responses up here.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kitty Hawk is awesome; enjoy your stay! Great place for stunt kites. If you don't find an LFS or two, you'll certainly want to visit some kite shops.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't anything on the outer banks. There used to be a place an hour or so off the island in Plymouth NC called fish fish fish, but I think it's closed. Eastern NC didn't have much in the way of reefing options. Perhaps there is something down near Wilmington. Reef Keepers Aquarium used to be a great store, but it's a bit far to drive from the obx.

Incidentally, while you are there, make the drive to the end of Cape Hatteras. The water is like 15 degrees warmer. I spent YEARS diving off the coast of the central obx (in cold water, looking at gray fish) before I realized that if I got on a boat that left from Hatteras, I could see some of the more cold hardy tropicals (e.g. queen angels).

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there are 4 store here in Wilmington but thats gonna be long drive IMO even with the ferry
How far of a drive, and care to name them? I go 3 1/2 hours one way for an lfs now. Lol

Thanks guys. Didn't think there was anything actually in OBX, but thought there might be something close by.

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you driving or flying from ny? If driving, a detour on your way back up to pacific east aquaculture in Mardela, MD wouldn't be too far out of the way. Great place. But, they're only open for retail on Saturdays

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far of a drive, and care to name them? I go 3 1/2 hours one way for an lfs now. Lol

Thanks guys. Didn't think there was anything actually in OBX, but thought there might be something close by.
I guess you could make a day out of it. Two ferries and a visit to Ocracoke would be nice.

Wilmington
Coastal Reef
Fish Room
Port City Aquastudio
Big Fish

Jacksonville
Fish Cave
Bills Pet Shop

Are a few. I go to Coastal Reef 90% of the time though.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to echo that if I were doing the drive between obx and ny, i would totally stop at LFSs along the way home rather than while in the obx. There are some good ones! Pacific East is one--- I think TSM is actually on the way too depending on the route... make a tour of it and take some coral home. After you enjoy the beach.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could make a day out of it. Two ferries and a visit to Ocracoke would be nice.

Wilmington
Coastal Reef
Fish Room
Port City Aquastudio
Big Fish

Jacksonville
Fish Cave
Bills Pet Shop

Are a few. I go to Coastal Reef 90% of the time though.
LOL just looked at google maps, not taking the ferries, its a 4 1/2 hour drive(Used to stay in North Topsail just across the inter coastal from Camp Lajune a few years back). Didn't realize the OBX was that far from Topsail.

Thanks for the suggestions, might still make a day out of it.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to echo that if I were doing the drive between obx and ny, i would totally stop at LFSs along the way home rather than while in the obx. There are some good ones! Pacific East is one--- I think TSM is actually on the way too depending on the route... make a tour of it and take some coral home. After you enjoy the beach.
No room in my tank for anything. Nice idea if I was actually shopping for stuff though.

I still like to go to different LFS's to have a look around.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, you should really just enjoy OBX. The reason to go is for the tranquility. Go see the wild horses, visit Duck, etc.
Not my first time in the OBX, been there done that. This is more of a sit and relax trip before the hussle and bustle of my busy season. Just thought if something was close by, it would be worth the trip.

I like to visit different LFS.

I do have to go to Ocracoke, have to visit Howard's Pub! They had an excellent lunch, and was like the only place that was open last time we went down in April a few years ago.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Avon on the Outer Banks which is 60 miles south of Kitty Hawk. NO nearby fish stores. The closest are in the Norfolk / Virginia Beach area which is about a 1 1/2 hour drive north of Kitty Hawk. If you do a google search for aquarium stores near Norfolk or Virginia Beach, 3 or 4 will pop up. They aren't the best in the world, but a good visit if you have the time.

Because of the distance (almost 3 hours for me due to summer traffic) and the randomness of store inventories, I buy all of my fish and coral on-line.

If you decide to drive there, you may want to visit the public aquarium in Norfolk. Also, the naval station there has several tours you may enjoy if you like that kind of stuff.

Nearer to Kitty Hawk is the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island. That's about 15 miles. Definitely worth the visit.

Lot of things to see and do at the seashore. Have fun.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Avon on the Outer Banks which is 60 miles south of Kitty Hawk. NO nearby fish stores. The closest are in the Norfolk / Virginia Beach area which is about a 1 1/2 hour drive north of Kitty Hawk. If you do a google search for aquarium stores near Norfolk or Virginia Beach, 3 or 4 will pop up. They aren't the best in the world, but a good visit if you have the time.

Because of the distance (almost 3 hours for me due to summer traffic) and the randomness of store inventories, I buy all of my fish and coral on-line.

If you decide to drive there, you may want to visit the public aquarium in Norfolk. Also, the naval station there has several tours you may enjoy if you like that kind of stuff.

Nearer to Kitty Hawk is the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island. That's about 15 miles. Definitely worth the visit.

Lot of things to see and do at the seashore. Have fun.
We vacationed in Avon last year. Its so calm around there. Love it. I used to go every year as a child and last year was the first time there in 20 years.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back