Trisodium Phosphate dosing math

Rich123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right. Thanks. After checking with the manufacturer, they're not using trisodium phoshate. They're using sodium tripolyphosphate and there's 50 pounds in 275 gallons. Are you able to do that math?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, or you could use the math I already posted. :D

1. add 1.88g of the Trisodium Phosphate to 1 liter of water,
2. Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm (so add 1.52 mL).

:p:D
Trisodium phosphate is 58% phosphate by weight.

Adding 0.1 gram to 100 liters of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.6 ppm.—————————————————Just to clarify, that stock solution is 1090 ppm phosphate (1.88 x 0.58 g/L or 1.09 g/L or 1,090 mg/L).

Adding 1 ml per liter of tank water will boost phosphate by 1 mg/L.

Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm.

Rich123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can find what weight percentage of phosphate is in STPP and do I need that to get to grams per liter?

Rich123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to calculate how many gallons of liquid are needed to raise the phosphate level 1 ppb in 10,000 gallons of water assuming the liquid that you're adding contains a mixture of 50 pounds of sodium tripolyphosphate in 275 gallons of water?

Barks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, or you could use the math I already posted. :D

1. add 1.88g of the Trisodium Phosphate to 1 liter of water,
2. Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm (so add 1.52 mL).
Hi randy,
lim just about to raise my phosphate from zero, can I go straight to 0.05 or should it be done gradually?
many thanks

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I wouldn't do more than .01 daily or every other day...gradually is best.
Hi randy,
lim just about to raise my phosphate from zero, can I go straight to 0.05 or should it be done gradually?
many thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi randy,
many thanks

It won’t go up as fast as you add it. Much will bind to rock and sand. 0.05 ppm seems fine to add and see what happens.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a scale. How can I convert TSP from grams to tsp to produce a dosing fluid?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a scale. How can I convert TSP from grams to tsp to produce a dosing fluid?

As an approximation, 1 mL bulk powder weighs about 1 g. That's close enough for our purposes here. :)

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an approximation, 1 mL bulk powder weighs about 1 g. That's close enough for our purposes here. :)

Thanks that appears to be close enough. I used a bulk density of 950 kg/cubic meter and a weight of 1.88 grams. Did some conversations and used the formula p=m/v, and ended up with a value of 0.40 tsp. Using the approximation I calculated 0.38 tsp. So, like you said, for our purposes, the approximation is close enough and conservative.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have added 0.16 ppm over the course of the week and still read "0" on my Hanna ULR after 3 separate tests 2-12 hours after dosing. Are biological and sorption processes happening that are stripping the phosphates so quickly? I have seen no uptick in algae growth anywhere. besides the little bit of transitional algae I have after treating for Golden algae.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added 0.16 ppm over the course of the week and still read "0" on my Hanna ULR after 3 separate tests 2-12 hours after dosing. Are biological and sorption processes happening that are stripping the phosphates so quickly?

Yes, that's pretty much expected.

titus'reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!
Is Savogran 10621 Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) 1LB (16oz) what you guys are using? If not what are you using? I’m trying to raise my phosphate in my reef tank.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, that stock solution is 1090 ppm phosphate (1.88 x 0.58 g/L or 1.09 g/L or 1,090 mg/L).

Adding 1 ml per liter of tank water will boost phosphate by 1 mg/L.

Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm. :)

I know the post is old Randy but does trisodium phosphate solution lose potency over time? Or is my hanna having a problem reading it? My reagents are good until 2022.

I mixed some the other day and it seemed to do the trick but after a few months i only ever read 0 on my hanna and when i put a little in the vial directly it doesnt turn bkue like it used to. This led me to sprinkle a tiny bit of TSP crystal itslef into the vial and BOOM blue.

Has my mixture expired? Lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the post is old Randy but does trisodium phosphate solution lose potency over time? Or is my hanna having a problem reading it? My reagents are good until 2022.

I mixed some the other day and it seemed to do the trick but after a few months i only ever read 0 on my hanna and when i put a little in the vial directly it doesnt turn bkue like it used to. This led me to sprinkle a tiny bit of TSP crystal itslef into the vial and BOOM blue.

Has my mixture expired? Lol

If it is the only thing in the solution, it won't go bad.

Perhaps demand in the tank has risen. :)

Last edited:

tinhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any tsp work or....? I have a box of this as it was handy to buy but when I mix up a solution of it and add lots to a test bucket of water my phosphate reading is still zero. I test my tap water and it reads at 0.03. Is this normal or should I toss this tsp and search for another? Screenshot_20210413-181447.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back