Trisodium Phosphate dosing math

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Loudwolf stuff is pure and cheap. I wouldn't use that in my tanks. Been dosing the Loudwolf tsp for about a year now. No funky icp test results. 1tsp/gal makes my dosing solution. 1 bottle will last awhile.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but considering trying this so, any quick pros/cons for the couple of different types of "food grade" products with Amazon links in this thread:

Trisodium Phosphate vs Sodium Phosphate Dibasic

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but considering trying this so, any quick pros/cons for the couple of different types of "food grade" products with Amazon links in this thread:

Trisodium Phosphate vs Sodium Phosphate Dibasic

The only difference, assuming purity is the same, is a tiny pH and alk difference, but the amount dosed is too small for either to be important.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i guess the question becomes is your requirement that the addition has to be exactly 1 mL.

Based on my math, if you add 1.88g of the Trisodium Phosphate to 1 liter of water, you can add 1.0003 mL to raise the phosphate level in your tank up to 0.01 ppm. I think adding 1 mL would be close enough.

This calculation was done using Randy's math from another post.
Apologies for the stupid question. Your point above about this would be what is needed to raise a 40 gallon tank 0.01, was your calculations based on 40 gallons of water or some fraction there of because of rockwork, headspace, etc? I have approximately 90 gallons of total water in my system and am struggling to get my phosphates up so I am combing through TSP dosing posts to make sure I am not going to make a major oops oversight.

I am assuming that if I take 90 Gallons / 40 Gallons * 1.88g of TSP = 4.23, I get to the same place'ish?

Brad Mckeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the math to raise a 220g system from .07 to .12 with loudwolf trisodium phosphate???

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used to dose phosphate, I went with Randy's formula:
1. add 1.88g of Trisodium Phosphate to 1 liter of RO/DI
2. adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm

...for my roughly 32 gallon volume, that seemed to work out to 5 mL solution dosed boosted PO4 by about 0.04 ppm

*scale that to 220 gallons and 34 mL dose of the mixed solution "should" raise PO4 by same 0.04 ppm,,, so from .07 to .11 ... but, I'd start with smaller doses and test.

Since you're dosing, you likely have significant uptank/binding so you just have to dial in your daily dose based on testing anyway.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back