Triton Alk (3a & 3b) storage container heater... need ideas.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My den where the tank is has a winter temperature of 68 +/- degrees. The Alk containers are against the outside wall of the house... only spot it can be. No room next to sump to use tank water. The Alk solution crystallizes at low temperatures. Need an idea of a way to heat the containers to about a steady 75 degrees. I been thinking about wrapping water pipe heat tape around the Neptune plastic containers (have 4 total with Mg & Calcium per Triton). Don't know if this will be safe. Used Betta heaters in the past but these heaters heated the solution to 80 degrees or more as the Alk got used and lowered. Placed my wall warts close to the containers but it is not enough when it really gets cold outside in New Jersey. Wonder if any DIY's can supply me with some ideas.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps place the containers inside larger containers. Like clay pots bottom of pot put a seedling heat pad. Layer of play sand. Layer of insulation on sides of pot(cheap foam kind, fiberglass is ichy.). So that the container is snug.

OP
OP
Oberst Oswald

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew something like that existed. Thanks. Since the containers are 5 1/2" X 10 1/2" I seen on Amazon a few ideas with the thermostat controlled pads. Can be use for brewing beer so should work with liquid.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back