Triton Core-7 density for calibration

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

My dosing pumps does only allow calibration for 30 seconds; just enough to barely fill the bottom of one of my small measuring glasses.

Now, i would like to calibrate by weight with my high-precision scales.

Does anyone happen to know the density of the four different Triton solutions? (1, 2, 3a, 3b)?

- or should i just assume the density of RO water, ie. 1.000 SG?

Cheers!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

My dosing pumps does only allow calibration for 30 seconds; just enough to barely fill the bottom of one of my small measuring glasses.

Now, i would like to calibrate by weight with my high-precision scales.

Does anyone happen to know the density of the four different Triton solutions? (1, 2, 3a, 3b)?

- or should i just assume the density of RO water, ie. 1.000 SG?

Cheers!

What exactly are you going to use this calibration for? Setting dosing is largely trial and error and should not need high accuracy in knowing the exact volume dosed.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly are you going to use this calibration for? Setting dosing is largely trial and error and should not need high accuracy in knowing the exact volume dosed.
Simply to initially calibrate the four heads on my dosing pump :) It is difficult to distinguish weather i am dosing 3.4 - or 3.6 ml; far easier by weight but since the doses are this small i figured density might matter:relieved-face:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply to initially calibrate the four heads on my dosing pump :) It is difficult to distinguish weather i am dosing 3.4 - or 3.6 ml; far easier by weight but since the doses are this small i figured density might matter:relieved-face:

I'm not sure what the density is, but it is likely around 1.2.

That said, I still do not understand the need for high accuracy, and if you assume the density is 1 g/mL seems fine.
|
What could possibly be an issue if it is off by 10% or even 50% (not from density).

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the density is, but it is likely around 1.2.

That said, I still do not understand the need for high accuracy, and if you assume the density is 1 g/mL seems fine.
|
What could possibly be an issue if it is off by 10% or even 50% (not from density).
Well for a starter, given that the Triton method is based on dosing exactly the same amount of 1, 2, 3a and 3b- I figured the better calibrated the dosing heads were, the easier it would be to dial in :relieved-face:

Secondly, the instructions says so :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

However, as i am dealing with the wizard of chemistry here, i’m sure you’re more qualified than i - so thank you very much for your input! I will assume density is not an issue :upside-down-face:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be adjusting dosing for a while until it keeps your alk stable. It makes no difference if you are actually dosing 3 mL or 3.3 ml each day. Even if you wanted to calculate the alk demand per day, your estimate of the total water volume is likely quite rough, so knowing the exact ml dosed seems of little value to me.

Folks also typically adjust the calcium part a bit away from the alk part over the long haul since the demand may not actually be 1:1.

So all that said, I'd just assume the density is 1.2 g/mL unless you measure it to be different, and use that number.

If you have a good volumetric piece of glassware, you can always measure density yourself. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back