Triton Core 7

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Triton Core 7 best used for an established reef? I’ve read a couple scattered reports of tanks starting up with dry rock having a hard time getting going, with lots of nuisance algaes due to the added trace elements and macro booster. I’m having an incredible ugly stage, worst I’ve even had in a tank, and am considering backing off Triton and going standard 2 part for the next 6 months with weekly water changes. Tank has been running since January.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How ugly? Any tank shots?
Pretty bad- I removed a whole bunch manually the other day, just comes back so strong. Lots behind the rocks you can’t see as well. Nasty thick hair algae. Also had to run a course of ChemiClean the cyano was so bad at one point…

Attachments

• BC078CDB-5030-436B-8DC3-624BB3A9BA93.jpeg
    BC078CDB-5030-436B-8DC3-624BB3A9BA93.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How ugly? Any tank shots?
Nutrient levels aren’t insane. The one spike in PO4 was a dirty Hanna cuvette. I have to dose NO3 to get any sort of nitrate reading because my fuge does some serious work. Just don’t know if Triton is good for a tank that used dry rock to start…

9E061CE0-55C1-4595-A74D-66FD05A86B69.jpeg 80392EBA-C019-4C6A-AE46-E7D0C6997641.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is quite possibly the most thoroughly filled refugium I've ever seen! I have higher nutrient levels in my tank but I just don't get algae breakouts (at all).

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you think the root cause may be?
Umm I don’t know. I posted on their FB group and didn’t get much of a response. I have a gut feeling it’s just too much nutrients added to a new tank… they don’t disclose really what’s in their supps, just “Alk plus trace”, etc, but there are macro growth supplements to feed the fuge. I think I may need to just let the tank mature for another 6 months before I start with the Core 7.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that is quite possibly the most thoroughly filled refugium I've ever seen! I have higher nutrient levels in my tank but I just don't get algae breakouts (at all).
Should see some of the other fuges in the Triton group lol

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank and what is are the numbers for your current cleanup crew?
75 gallon display… about a dozen blue legs, dozen margherita snails, few remaining nassarius snails, sea cucumber, and a tuxedo urchin named Evelyn.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon display… about a dozen blue legs, dozen margherita snails, few remaining nassarius snails, sea cucumber, and a tuxedo urchin named Evelyn.
That is a bit on the light side. I personally would add 10-20 ceriths, and 8 trochus. Could also throw a turbo or two in there.

I would also remove a bunch of cheato from your fuge. Once it fills out too much growth slows and it's ability to export tanks.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so back to my original question, since I’m curious to know, and also have $180 worth of additives just sitting there because I don’t want to dose them just yet-

doing a bit of research and read that the Balling method seems to be the closest dosing regimen I found, the amount of trace elements you add to Alk/Cal/Mag depends on your tanks consumption. The Triton does not have this multiple layer approach, so is it safe to assume the amount that is added is a higher amount? I’m thinking that this is a very “nutrient rich” dosing additive. That said, in a newly established tank, could this be one of the reasons for such a large algae issue off the bat? (I’m aware I’m going through an ugly stage but it was excessive- did a 3 day blackout, ran GFO, and manually removed a LOT of algae, switched back to BRS 2 part Alk/Cal/Mag and my algae issue is fairly controlled now).

I would like to go back to Triton some day, just would like to know if I’m going to have a better experience with a tank that’s been running for a while, as opposed to right off the bat. Couldn’t get many answers from Triton on their FB group, and I think I’m logically thinking here…

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember and I cant remember where, but I read something about waiting for the tank to mature before dosing Core 7. I have it writen in my notes because I also am waiting 6 months to start the fuge and I have the notes together. Sorry I cant be more help.

Question: I have the sump and saw you threw a cup on the sock holder, is that for flow control or do you have media in there?

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember and I cant remember where, but I read something about waiting for the tank to mature before dosing Core 7. I have it writen in my notes because I also am waiting 6 months to start the fuge and I have the notes together. Sorry I cant be more help.

Question: I have the sump and saw you threw a cup on the sock holder, is that for flow control or do you have media in there?
It was originally to divert the flow a bit when the chaeto was a small ball, but then occasionally used filter floss in there for some mechanical filtration. Hasn’t been on there for some time though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back