Triton detox or seachem cuprisorb?

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my corals are fading and several have rtnd. I found a rusted hose clamp in my sump and my return pump magnet was cracked. I have replaced the return pump and want to try one of these products to help remove the unwanted metals from my tank. Which would you use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no comparative date to distinguish them. Detox is removing by skimming and the Cuprisorb is not removed that way and doesn't require a skimmer. A Boyd poly filter and Two Little Fishies Metasorb are other options.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used triton detox with great results multiple times. It will cause some zoas to close for a day but thats it. I now used it a couple times a year just as a precaution.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep both on hand, detox is pretty awesome. But I keep cuprisorb in the tank all the time. Nothing will jack up your tank like elevated metals.

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had heavy metals in their tank to the point that all corals are stn'ing? If so how long did it take for them to show improvement after removing said metals

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had heavy metals in their tank to the point that all corals are stn'ing? If so how long did it take for them to show improvement after removing said metals
Triton ICP testing is what I would suggest

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've certainly read of such scenarios, but I do not recall the recovery times.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank show elevated metals in a Triton test and the only corals i have any issues with has been Acro's. I have put a poly filter in the tank and will follow the detox and close inspection of all pumps and magnets for issues.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Two Little Fishies Metasorb with excellent results on tanks that had been previously treated with copper medications. This is of course prior to stocking the tanks with corals. I can't speak on the effectiveness of Detox, but have heard great things about it! I may get a bottle just to have on hand in case any emergencies arise in the future.

I recently had an RTN/STN event in my acropora propagation system that coincided with adding hardware store potassium nitrate. Never confirmed with Triton test since I immediately did multiple 50 percent water changes. Symptoms are gone now and everything fully recovered. Lost some pieces in the first few days. After that it took about two weeks for things that had browned out or partially stripped to turn the corner. Stuff stopped dying within a few days of the water changes, but recovery took 2 weeks for growth to kick in again and a month or so for coloration to return properly.

Good luck with your situation! If your water volume isn't too large a couple substantial water changes can help knock down the concentrations of toxins til the detox kicks in.

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi did anyone try the detox with results as I’ve got high barium, iron, zinc, boron in the tank. Just going to detox and polyfilter the tank.

I’m sure it was added to the tank while I was removing the clips on the reactors two months ago.

I’ve had zoas slowly melting away but never thought it was when I was removing the clamps that was rusting that could have caused my issues.

I’ve added the ICP test.

CA1CF047-E2F3-46E1-9007-025D88439DA4.png

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a few 50% water changes drop it or should I do a bigger.

I’m going to be sending off another sample within next three weeks after two 50% water changes. As I’m hoping it’s dropped back down.

also I dose my tank Aquaforest 123+ I also use reef crystals which now has raised trace elements too I’ve found out.

I’m thinking of sending a sample of the fresh mixed and a sample of the tanks water to see if it’s the combination of salt mix and AF 123+ that’s doing this. As I started the dosing 5 months ago.
might look at removing the component strong out of the mix to keep the cal/mag/alk stable after the results are back.
Then use the 123 without the component strong for a month, send a test off and see if anything’s changed.

if all’s well I’ll leave the component strong out for a few months. But I will see it it’s the mix of the two salt and AF 123+ is too strong in metals.

sump I will hosepipe all the bottom to make sure there isn’t any rust particles in there.

4DE8355E-5D33-4C33-A578-A1BE2D1B19AC.jpeg 42B713EE-9B12-4E6F-B415-7C4528D7D71C.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would do anything out of the ordinary with respect to water changes, assuming you do regular water changes. The Reef Crystals is not the problem.

I'd stop dosing the Aquaforest 1,2,3 for a while and maybe use a two or three part that doesn't claim to be "enriched with trace elements ". Soemthing liek ESV-B-ionic, or a true Balling system as from Tropic Marin.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used detox, and it works really well for it's intended purpose. When I spoke to Triton when I was having issues with heavy metals they told me it was primarily for copper even though they market it for "heavy metals". The also specifically told me that it does NOT remove Iron. The only thing on your list that it may remove is zinc.

I actually thought it worked by binding to the heavy metal then being removed by activated carbon.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instructions:

Remove any activated carbon sources from your aquarium. Add up to 3mL per 100L of water volume and let the system run for 72 hours. A brown discoloration of the aquarium water is normal and is harmless. Replace the activated carbon that was removed with fresh carbon. The new carbon will remove the brown discoloration along with the heavy metals that are bound to it.

It is highly recommended to utilize Triton ICP-OES testing for dosage requirements.

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to use the 3 part but without the component part added. As it will be cal mag alk only till I get to the bottom of my issues.

Justin4real

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps done dosing pump off. Going to mix up the basic 3 part tomorrow. Let’s see how things settle. Over the month. New carbon going in tomorrow as the detox been in three/four days. My clarisea 5000 took care of most of the detox as that’s covered in filth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back