Triton Detox questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my ICP test back and all looks pretty good except some high levels on a couple elements which I believe I know where they were coming from and discontinued use of these products.

Lanthanum - from using Lanthanum Chloride to reduce PO4
Zinc & Iron - from using SeaChem trace and possibly Phol's Xtra

Which brings me to Detox, in the Triton Manual it says "Triton Detox is used to remove excess unwanted heavy metals from seawater."
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uld7i751...oaeiwf0kzs4a?dl=0&preview=Manual+Detox+EN.pdf

Ok great..... which heavy metals? Will it remove the 3 above? Is there a list of the heavy metals that Detox will remove?

Also, in the instruction it says to use activated carbon after 72 hours and that a browning of the aquarium water may occur and is perfectly normal. That the activated carbon will pull out the browning of the water where the heavy metals have bound themselves to the detox. OK, thats great.. I get it... but what about my protein skimmer? Should that also be shut off until after the activated carbon has visibly removed the brown water from my system?

Any adverse effects on refugium algae?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes turn your protein skimmer of while using detox , not sure about affects on refugium , but I’m guessing it should be ok !

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any adverse effects on refugium algae?
No. Detox isn't particularly selective and it may bind other traces but should not be detrimental in the long run.

I treated my system twice with Detox followed by Pantha Lith and then Triton's recommended water changes to remove tin (at UC's suggestion) and did not notice any impact on the refugium.

As to what Detox does and doesn't remove, that's a great question. @Tim@Triton, care to chime in?

M

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave your skimmer running if you want to but you will need to adjust it as it may "boil over" once the detox is added, I tend to switch it off for a few hours during the dose.

Detox is primarily designed to remove Copper and Lead, it can remove other metals from the system but not as effectively as the other two.

For removing the elements that you mentioned you should just carry out the recommendations of stopping the dose of the trace mixes/lanthanum and carrying out the water changes.

OP
OP
Broadwave

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave your skimmer running if you want to but you will need to adjust it as it may "boil over" once the detox is added, I tend to switch it off for a few hours during the dose.

Detox is primarily designed to remove Copper and Lead, it can remove other metals from the system but not as effectively as the other two.

For removing the elements that you mentioned you should just carry out the recommendations of stopping the dose of the trace mixes/lanthanum and carrying out the water changes.

Thanks Tim!

Spencer Couzens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have just received my triton lab test and it says I have an abundance of zinc in system and my lfs advised the detox , so I've added a dose and remove all jubilee clips (rooky mistake) so there is now no more in system and have replaced with zip ties.
Can anyone tell me is it a one hit dose or do I dose for 3 days ?

reefers paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have high...very high aluminum levels. I just got the detox. I've been doing wc for awhile and it hasn't come out. Will the product pull aluminum?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back