Triton Method Users // Do you maintain your dKH @ 8 or higher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you dosing Core7 are keeping your dKH steady at 8? Anyone keeping alkalinity higher? I want to maintain ours at ~9dKH and was curious if that's going to be an issue? Our tank is doing fantastic currently. All corals are growing and fish are happy and our tank is at 8.8dKH. I get that it'll be more expensive to dose Core7 over time, but just curious is there are any negative long term effects.

#tritonmethod

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i started triton my aim was for 7.5, but with the correction dosing of trace elements it kicked up to 8.5 gradually so instead of trying to bring it back down im just letting it go everything is doing great right now so i dont want to change anything,

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recommend that you maintain your dKH between 7 and 8. The main thing with this is stability wherever you find your corals are at their best.

SledHead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some signs that SPS corals are happy with the dkh of the tank?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recommend that you maintain your dKH between 7 and 8. The main thing with this is stability wherever you find your corals are at their best.
May I ask what has led you to the 7-8 dKH recommendation? What is the disadvantage of maintaining it above 8? I'm only asking because so many suggest that corals grow faster at higher alkalinity levels (along with higher pH). Thank you!

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask what has led you to the 7-8 dKH recommendation? What is the disadvantage of maintaining it above 8? I'm only asking because so many suggest that corals grow faster at higher alkalinity levels (along with higher pH). Thank you!
Same question?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on Ehsan's personal experience running the TRITON Method on his own aquarium and TRITON's research conducted over the past decade on thousands of aquariums utilising the TRITON Method, we know that the ideal dKH lies between 7 and 8dKH.

Higher than 8 may result in a reduction in growth and/or colour for aquariums running the TRITON Method.

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on Ehsan's personal experience running the TRITON Method on his own aquarium and TRITON's research conducted over the past decade on thousands of aquariums utilising the TRITON Method, we know that the ideal dKH lies between 7 and 8dKH.

Higher than 8 may result in a reduction in growth and/or colour for aquariums running the TRITON Method.
Thanks for the reply.
Is the reason for that because of the lower nutrients that a tank running the triton method usually has?
If so, would raising nutrients allow for a higher alkalinity?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specific reason is related to the relationship between Alkalinity and Calcium as is explained in Randy's article linked here:

We find the ideal zone "within the zone" is between 7 and 8dKH.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specific reason is related to the relationship between Alkalinity and Calcium as is explained in Randy's article linked here:

We find the ideal zone "within the zone" is between 7 and 8dKH.
Randy's article is excellent. But it says that Alk anywhere between 7 - 11 is fine (provided the Ca is appropriate). So I don't see where it answers @anth 's questions nor why you are choosing 7-8. Anth's questions are essentially the same one's I asked a few posts back, which are:

1) What (exactly) has led you to the 7-8 dKH recommendation? And, what is the disadvantage of maintaining it above 8? (You answered: "Higher than 8 may result in a reduction in growth and/or colour for aquariums running the TRITON Method". So, specifically, what is it about the Triton method that leads you to this recommendation? (There have been so many reports stating that corals grow faster at higher alkalinity levels along with higher pH). (And this leads to Anth's next two questions):

2) Is the reason for that (7 to 8 range that you recommend) because of the lower nutrients that a tank running the triton method usually has?

3) If so, would raising nutrients allow for a higher alkalinity?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back