Triton Pure 2.0 Salt vs RedSea Blue and Tropic Marin Pro

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just restarting my tank and going Triton.

My question is what is the actual difference between the Triton 2.0 Pure Red Sea Blue and Tropic Marin Pro?

1) The first that I can see is that the 2.0 Pure is far far more expensive! Is it justified, or are the other two just as good for the Triton method?

2) Secondly, you need to mix the 2.0 in 50L batches which isn't ideal. The others you don't.

3) Triton 2.0 can be hard to get hold of.

Are there and Triton ICP tests that are published showing the differences between the three with freshly mixed water?

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe,

Triton has long recommended Tropic Marin Pro (TPM) for being close to NSW and a good basis for their method. Triton has on occasion mentioned Red Sea in the blue bucket (not Red Sea Pro which boosts certain parameters). Triton Salts are supposed to be ultra-pure grade and come in multiple parts to avoid settling. Others have reported on here that the Triton salt mixes to NSW with the same dKH as TPM.

Even if it were readily available, as you have discovered the cost of 2.o Pure is prohibitive as well. A lot of folks have been successful with TPM and it certainly "fits" in Triton's program. It's also easy to find!

M

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I believe Triton Pure contains all the main elements in separate bags. This helps to avoid settling but can also be useful for other reasons such as, for example, if you need to do a correction for high magnesium, it may be possible to simply reduce the amount of magnesium in the salt mix to target a specific reduction in that element. Otherwise, Red Sea Blue Bucket or TMP are fine.

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait...

when i started triton, only in oct 2017 (6 months ago), the recommended salt mix was hw marinemix professional (not hw marinemix reefer). now it's what? triton 2.0? can't even find this in google in the US. i have a few boxes of hw marinemix... what the...

when did this change, and why?

i would like to summarize for clarity -- as of may 2018, triton recommends, in order of preference (and please correct if this is not right):

1. triton 2.0
2. tmpro
2. rs blue (from the posts, i assume second place is a tie)
3. ...

again, what happened to hw marinemix pro? where does it go on the above preference list?

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton Pure 2.0 is very handy to use when you should correct different issues because the risk of uneven mixing of trace and minor element is minimized because you get this as liquids and in handy batches. When you correct issues - its important to do that in small steps and for me 50 l batches is perfect (it means a 12 % WC for me)

To start an aquarium the other three brands works well as I see it

Sincerely Lasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back