Triton Results

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae removes it by takin it up, but there's nothing you can filter with. I wouldn't agonize over it.
Do you say that active carbon does not take up iodine? What´s the iodine number for active carbon saying in that case?

Sincerely Lasse

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you say that active carbon does not take up iodine? What´s the iodine number for active carbon saying in that case?

Sincerely Lasse

I do not believe GAC takes up appreciable iodide or iodate from seawater. It may bind lots of organic iodine compounds.

iodine number is I2 binding from a solution with nothing much else besides water (and KI to make the I2 soluble). I2 is much more inclined to bind to activated carbon than is I-. It is fairly hydrophobic and interacts well with hydrophobic surfaces.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe GAC takes up appreciable iodide or iodate from seawater. It may bind lots of organic iodine compounds.

iodine number is I2 binding from a solution with nothing much else besides water (and KI to make the I2 soluble). I2 is much more inclined to bind to activated carbon than is I-. It is fairly hydrophobic and interacts well with hydrophobic surfaces.
I see - Thank you

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched around where I remember the screw falling. But no luck.

I am going to try a magnet (yes I know that shouldn’t work for stainless but maybe I get lucky)

I will not be using sea elements any longer. And hoping the increased water changes help with the chromium and lithium.

planning on waiting a few weeks and doing another test. More to come.

Randy. Another ideas to reduce chromium and lithium

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched around where I remember the screw falling. But no luck.

I am going to try a magnet (yes I know that shouldn’t work for stainless but maybe I get lucky)

I will not be using sea elements any longer. And hoping the increased water changes help with the chromium and lithium.

planning on waiting a few weeks and doing another test. More to come.

Randy. Another ideas to reduce chromium and lithium

Do not try to remove lithium. It may have come with your salt mix and I do not believe there is any way to remove it aside from water changes with a lower lithium mix. As I said, it is also no concern either.

A metal binder like metasorb or cuprisorb or Triton detox may help remove some chromium (and other trace metals, whether you want them removed or not).

OP
OP
OceanDiver

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not try to remove lithium. It may have come with your salt mix and I do not believe there is any way to remove it aside from water changes with a lower lithium mix. As I said, it is also no concern either.

A metal binder like metasorb or cuprisorb or Triton detox may help remove some chromium (and other trace metals, whether you want them removed or not).

thanks I will see if my local shops any of those or I’ll order from BRS

all reef safe I would think?

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the table. Can edta be used safely in a reef tank to bind heavy metals and Then how is it exported? I’ve heard of some resin ion Exchange membrane that can bind up and remove heavy metal ions but I never saw it come out commercially or that it works in saltwater. Was proposed for municipal water supplies about 15 years back by a guy at NASA Glenn Ohio to address lead.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back