Triton test detected dangerous level of chromium in tank

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reviewed my Triton test results. Most of the levels were just about what you reported on your own test. However, my chromium level is off the chart! I'm thinking that there might be a metal screw or something like that that might have fallen into the sump at on point!
What other causes can there be for this high reading?
What does high Cr levels cause in an SPS tank? My water apparently is very good except for the chromium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, Triton can detect elevated levels, but whether it is dangerous or not is very unclear with almost all of the trace metal deviations folks see with a test like Triton.

Are you dosing any trace element supplements?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a triton report last year with high Cr reported. I did some water changes and started running GFO. My last 2 triton tests have come back at 0 for Cr. So it might have been an aberration or testing error.

OP
OP
Charterreefer

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, Triton can detect elevated levels, but whether it is dangerous or not is very unclear with almost all of the trace metal deviations folks see with a test like Triton.

Are you dosing any trace element supplements?

No trace elements. The additives I dose are: Pohls xtra special, sponge power, stylo pocci glow, usually every other day and usually half the prescribed dose when I do.

The report showed the readout for chromium going off the chart (pegged).
I was thinking that I might have inadvertently dropped something metallic into the sump at some point.
I guess will take all the live rock out of the sump and look for a piece of metal although, I hate to disturb all the sponges and other life growing on all the rock...Argh!!

They also said my strontium and iodine were low and lithium and bromine were a bit high. I believe your report had similar values.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No trace elements. The additives I dose are: Pohls xtra special, sponge power, stylo pocci glow, usually every other day and usually half the prescribed dose when I do.

The report showed the readout for chromium going off the chart (pegged).
I was thinking that I might have inadvertently dropped something metallic into the sump at some point.
I guess will take all the live rock out of the sump and look for a piece of metal although, I hate to disturb all the sponges and other life growing on all the rock...Argh!!

They also said my strontium and iodine were low and lithium and bromine were a bit high. I believe your report had similar values.

Triton results do not get pegged. The display bar might be, but the number can, and is, still quantified in this method.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It said that chromium was 14.90.
How high is that, relatively speaking? What can this level effect in a reef tank?

As I mentioned, we do not really know the toxic levels of most trace metals. There are many forms these take in seawater, and there are few good tests to evaluate.

Normal seawater has very roughly 0.3 ug/L chromium.

I detected none in my tank via Triton:

http://www.reefedition.com/my-triton-testing-results-by-randy-holmes-farley/

Chromium (Cr). Chromium is present in natural seawater at roughly 0.3 µg/L. The Triton LOD = 0.9 µg/L), so having none detected may be fine. We cannot really tell much, unless there is a substantial excess.

OP
OP
Charterreefer

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you consider a reading of 14.9 excessive? Would this value suggest that there may be a piece of metal in the system? I am trying to determine if I should take the live rock out of my sump and look for a screw or other foreign object.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Charterreefer

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could, and most salt mixes have been reported to have substantial levels, although I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the testing:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1

http://web.archive.org/web/20001215...om/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp
Thank you for your links to the salt study. It was an eye opener.
I would like to know why Triton says that my level is "dangerously high". What danger does it pose to my tank? What is it based on? My coral seem ok.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your links to the salt study. It was an eye opener.
I would like to know why Triton says that my level is "dangerously high". What danger does it pose to my tank? What is it based on? My coral seem ok.

You'd have to ask them how they set their recommendation bars.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how to lower it then ?

Water change, if it isn't in your mix at that level. Maybe a polyfilter or metasorb, depending on the form present.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suspect it might be due to using too much rowa that is causing this but i will need to use it to keep my po4 low. what should i do then ? i have perform multiple large water change like 50% . will that help ? i have also lower down the amount of rowa being used

OP
OP
Charterreefer

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suspect it might be due to using too much rowa that is causing this but i will need to use it to keep my po4 low. what should i do then ? i have perform multiple large water change like 50% . will that help ? i have also lower down the amount of rowa being used
Do you use any of the Korallen zucht products, Triton labs said that some of them are known to have high chromium levels although, they weren't specific as to which ones. They also told me that Coral Pro Salt (the salt I use) didn't come up high for chromium during their test of it.
Are GFO products known to raise chromium levels in systems?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back