OP
OP
Charterreefer

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd have to ask them how they set their recommendation bars.
I spoke with Triton labs. They said that there info is based on when people used to blindly dose chromium in there tanks (funny how fads come and go in this hobby lol) with resulting excessive levels. They said it can effect some staghorn corals! That was it !
I do agree that keeping levels in line with natural sea water is a great goal but in a closed system it is a real challenge.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use any of the Korallen zucht products, Triton labs said that some of them are known to have high chromium levels although, they weren't specific as to which ones. They also told me that Coral Pro Salt (the salt I use) didn't come up high for chromium during their test of it.
Are GFO products known to raise chromium levels in systems?

i did not use b-balance or those zeospur just the basic 4

GFO is rust and chromium is rust . correct me if i am wrong

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did not use b-balance or those zeospur just the basic 4

GFO is rust and chromium is rust . correct me if i am wrong

You are wrong. lol

I have no idea what you mean by chromium being rust. It can come from a corroding metal part, but it need not do so. It is present in many other chemicals, such as calcium supplements.

Just as an aside, oxidized chromium isn't brown, but other colors such as green or purple. :)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a triton report last year with high Cr reported. I did some water changes and started running GFO. My last 2 triton tests have come back at 0 for Cr. So it might have been an aberration or testing error.
similar situation here, im curious, did you have high phosphate levels when you tested for elevated chromium, and then lower levels when you did not?

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same question. My chromium tested at 10 ug/L, resulting in an ominous warning from Triton. Looking at the 2 articles listed by @Randy Holmes-Farley, I was surprised to see every one of the salt mixes tested had “dangerously” high levels of Cr (if I’m reading them correctly). Levels were 4-14 ug/L in one of the studies and 7.5-9.7 ug/L in the other. None of them were anywhere near the target of 0.1 ug/L set by Triton.

First question is, how reliable do we consider those older studies, with respect to new methodologies? Is it fair to compare them with ICP test results? On my report they recommend 6 water changes with either Tropic Marin Pro or Red Sea blue bucket. But how do we know that will decrease my Cr level? For example, TM salt tested at 14 ug/L and 7.6 ug/L in those 2 references, both of which are dangerously high according to Triton!

Second question, Triton mentioned to an earlier poster that they have tested various salt mixes, is that data public knowledge somewhere? That would be more of an apples-to-apples comparison and a useful reference in my opinion.

Third question, in the intervening time since this question was first asked a couple years ago do we have any new data about the effects of “dangerously high” Cr?

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has any new info?

FraghouseCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on this topic as well, my Chromium levels were fine until I added GFO... the very next week my chromium levels are sky high via Triton. I thought it was a fluke but this weeks test is the same. I suspect its the GFO causing high test reading BUT my question is, is it inert like the Aluminum in the marinepure ceramic blocks?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder what type of equipment is used to mix the salt at the factory? If it is stainless mixing vats like dry fertilizer places use, that could be the source. Chromium is used in stainless and hard chrome plating mostly. Mild steel is very low in chromium but high quality bolts can be made with it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back