Trochus snail with a hat. . . Trying to shake it off?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2022
Messages
4,530
Reaction score
4,817
Location
Grand Junction
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a trochus snail with a pretty nice sponge hat:

20250314_091557.jpg


Kinda looking like this:

1741973194574.jpeg


Recently I have witnessed this snail "shake", where it puts its foot down and pretty violently twists his shell. He shakes violently enough that I can hear clicking as his shell hits the glass. . . I assume the sponge is harmless, but could it be irritating the snail and I should remove it? Or is this a known/unrelated behavior?
 
I have a trochus snail with a pretty nice sponge hat:

20250314_091557.jpg


Kinda looking like this:

1741973194574.jpeg


Recently I have witnessed this snail "shake", where it puts its foot down and pretty violently twists his shell. He shakes violently enough that I can hear clicking as his shell hits the glass. . . I assume the sponge is harmless, but could it be irritating the snail and I should remove it? Or is this a known/unrelated behavior?
My trochus do this sometimes and I haven’t noticed any issues out of the ordinary with them. It’s pretty startling to just hear them banging on the glass in the middle of the night, but I think it’s harmless
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new