Tropic Eden Reef Flakes - Metal Flakes Found

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beating this dead horse....
Anyone have issues with blue flakes in their tropic eden bags of meso or reef flakes?
Premium aquatics says its from bulk storage bags that release the blue tarp like fibers. Im wondering if theyll float away after rinsing or if i should get some carib special grade instead...
Makes it look like colored freshwater gravel :(

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the blue in my bags.
Hoping it floats away when rinsed.

Attachments

• 20210120_201905.jpg
    20210120_201905.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 72

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you take some to see if they float?
Havent opened the bag yet. Contemplating returning. Theres reviews on amazon for the same issue. I just want to know if anyone else has this issue and if they floated away when rinsing before i hand sift thru 60lbs of sand lol.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beating this dead horse....
Anyone have issues with blue flakes in their tropic eden bags of meso or reef flakes?
Premium aquatics says its from bulk storage bags that release the blue tarp like fibers. Im wondering if theyll float away after rinsing or if i should get some carib special grade instead...
Makes it look like colored freshwater gravel :(
My mesoflakes have occasional little blue flecks here and there. They are barely noticeable. I figured it was plastic or something, tons of that floating around the sea.

OP
OP
KenO

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent opened the bag yet. Contemplating returning. Theres reviews on amazon for the same issue. I just want to know if anyone else has this issue and if they floated away when rinsing before i hand sift thru 60lbs of sand lol.
I was the OP that found the metal flakes in mine. Curious if you tried running a strong magnet over the outside of the bag and then moving the sand around in the bag to see if there are any metal flakes in it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the OP that found the metal flakes in mine. Curious if you tried running a strong magnet over the outside of the bag and then moving the sand around in the bag to see if there are any metal flakes in it.
Ill do this tonight with a strong biomag to check.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mesoflakes have occasional little blue flecks here and there. They are barely noticeable. I figured it was plastic or something, tons of that floating around the sea.
This is from the distributor

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-122331_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210121-122331_Gmail.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
KenO

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this sand and I've always rinsed thoroughly and never found any metal
I never noticed any either. Look at the pictures. Found the pieces in 2 different tanks. I'm just stating the facts. It could have been a one off, but it was different bags. To me they look more natural, vs a man made product.

Josh@BVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm the black chunks are metal or magnetic? they look like they could be a kind of mineral similar to what they use in the finer black sands. I would call the company and see what they have as an explanation.

OP
OP
KenO

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm the black chunks are metal or magnetic? they look like they could be a kind of mineral similar to what they use in the finer black sands. I would call the company and see what they have as an explanation.
They are metal but not magnetic. It's been awhile now since I found them. I don't remember if I sent an email to the place I got them from.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are metal but not magnetic. It's been awhile now since I found them. I don't remember if I sent an email to the place I got them from.
Im wondering if these infact came from your reefflakes. Are they the same size as the reefflake grains or larger?
They look like they would be easily spotted among the white and pink grains of the reefflakes if they were in the bag too.

Has anyone else confirmed getting metal pieces?
Have you tried crushing the pieces with some pliers?
This would let us know if its a natural mineral or infact a piece of tooled metal....or shavings...

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 200 lbs of grand select recently..Saw a few of those blue flecks , but not much..I sifted and washed every pound of it and didn't notice anything black or metallic looking..all in all it's a great aragonite , way cleaner than carib -sea..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back