OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard very positive things from my team in Germany. But to be totally honest, we can't bring it into the US, so I haven't spent a lot of time learning about it. So I don't have a lot of conrete informaoitn to share until I learn more.
Thanks Lou for the clarification and response!

I started this thread out of curiosity on a plant that can help humans in many ways, but we really have no idea if it helps our animal friends.

I imagine there would have to be scientific evidence in efficacy for Tropic Marin to bring it to the US market.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it would mellow out my killer kole... he may take out a raccoon butterfly today...

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it would mellow out my killer kole... he may take out a raccoon butterfly today...
No it will not. You need the real deal, THC to get the mental calming effect. CBD does nothing to help with anxiety or anger and in my case also does nothing for pain.
Get some good bud and use a straw to blow the smoke into the water :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou for the clarification and response!

I started this thread out of curiosity on a plant that can help humans in many ways, but we really have no idea if it helps our animal friends.

I imagine there would have to be scientific evidence in efficacy for Tropic Marin to bring it to the US market.
It is not the lack of scientific evidence keeping it from the US market. In actuality, I think there is some very strong evidence supporting its benefits. The problem here in the US, is that any CBD addition to animal foods is stricly forbidden by the FDA. That being said, you will find a lot of pet foods and treats on the market here, that have CBD addative. But my understanding is that they are all, technically, illegal. Tropic Marin chooses to not cross that line, even though lots of companies do.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not the lack of scientific evidence keeping it from the US market. In actuality, I think there is some very strong evidence supporting its benefits. The problem here in the US, is that any CBD addition to animal foods is stricly forbidden by the FDA. That being said, you will find a lot of pet foods and treats on the market here, that have CBD addative. But my understanding is that they are all, technically, illegal. Tropic Marin chooses to not cross that line, even though lots of companies do.
ohh, I see. Thank you again for clarifying. This can get a bit confusing to the average consumer. I will continue to follow the progress on this product as I am very interested in trying TM's version as I trust the brand!

GoDogGo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, All kidding aside, CBD is short for endocannabinoids. All animals with a spine have an endocannaibinoid system. In every body, throughout the body, there are receptors for endocannabinoids. We and all animals with a spine, including fish, birds, cats, dogs and ourselves are made to use endocannabinoids. We even manufacture them in our body, just not enough at all times. We also get some from our diets as many foods also have cannabinoids, we just don't eat enough of them in our modern diets. The endocannabinoid system supports and regulates the proper function of all of the bodies systems, balancing them out. Although the United States has had laws against CBD other countries have not and studies have been done in other countries for decades. CBD is not THC and they can be used exclusively from each other. It just happens that Hemp, not marijuana is the most CBD rich plant on earth so that is where it is generally extracted from for the best CBD ( not THC ) benefits and it has no hallucinatory effects. [ We only have receptors for THC in our brains ( thus the high ) and in our nervous system ( thus the other effects of THC ) ].
Here is one study done on Zebra Danios that showed changes in Immune DNA and an effect on swimming behavior. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6067702/. Plus many other studies done on fish if you want to take the time to read some of these articles from PubMed; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ and search CBD and Trout .
Plus there are many studies done on dogs that show very positive results; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ searching CBD and Dogs.
I also have anecdotal experience with one of my dogs who was diagnosed with lymphoma at 9 years of age. I was told he had two to three months to live and to make him as comfortable as I could until we would have to euthanize him. So, since CBD had stopped my arthritis pain and also my fibromyalgia symptoms I decided to give him CBD to see if it would give him some relief. The only thing/medication he received was CBD. Within 3 weeks his symptoms receded and he went into remission, living another 5 years and passing at 15, a normal lifespan for the breed, and not from the lymphoma. So, that being said I have also experienced the positive effects of CBD beyond my arthritis and fibromyalgia and do therefore believe it can be beneficial to fish. Just my opinion of course but if you look into the many studies reported in PubMed there is plenty of evidence as well.
I believe I will be looking into this fish food for my fish, thank you for letting me know it exists ESABOE

GoDogGo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FDA will not regulate it nor allow it as a drug, however it is legal as a food supplement. The US government removed Hemp and Hemp derived CBD from the illegal drugs list years ago. The drawback is that it is not regulated and therefore you have to trust a companies statements. When looking at CBD supplements the most important thing to look for is third party testing with guarantees of what exactly is in a supplement as some even though they say they have CBD don't actually contain CBD but rather hemp seed oil, which is definitely not the same as CBD itself.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will not. You need the real deal, THC to get the mental calming effect. CBD does nothing to help with anxiety or anger and in my case also does nothing for pain.
Get some good bud and use a straw to blow the smoke into the water :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Could I dose it into the skimmer intake and should I inhale first?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I dose it into the skimmer intake and should I inhale first?
Oh inhaling first is a must. It reduces the effect. Once they get used to it you can connect a bong to your skimmer intake but still inhale some to make sure it's suitable for tank use.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FDA will not regulate it nor allow it as a drug, however it is legal as a food supplement. The US government removed Hemp and Hemp derived CBD from the illegal drugs list years ago. The drawback is that it is not regulated and therefore you have to trust a companies statements. When looking at CBD supplements the most important thing to look for is third party testing with guarantees of what exactly is in a supplement as some even though they say they have CBD don't actually contain CBD but rather hemp seed oil, which is definitely not the same as CBD itself.
Unfortunately, this is the case for human foods, not anmal foods.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, All kidding aside, CBD is short for endocannabinoids. All animals with a spine have an endocannaibinoid system. In every body, throughout the body, there are receptors for endocannabinoids. We and all animals with a spine, including fish, birds, cats, dogs and ourselves are made to use endocannabinoids. We even manufacture them in our body, just not enough at all times. We also get some from our diets as many foods also have cannabinoids, we just don't eat enough of them in our modern diets. The endocannabinoid system supports and regulates the proper function of all of the bodies systems, balancing them out. Although the United States has had laws against CBD other countries have not and studies have been done in other countries for decades. CBD is not THC and they can be used exclusively from each other. It just happens that Hemp, not marijuana is the most CBD rich plant on earth so that is where it is generally extracted from for the best CBD ( not THC ) benefits and it has no hallucinatory effects. [ We only have receptors for THC in our brains ( thus the high ) and in our nervous system ( thus the other effects of THC ) ].
Here is one study done on Zebra Danios that showed changes in Immune DNA and an effect on swimming behavior. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6067702/. Plus many other studies done on fish if you want to take the time to read some of these articles from PubMed; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ and search CBD and Trout .
Plus there are many studies done on dogs that show very positive results; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ searching CBD and Dogs.
I also have anecdotal experience with one of my dogs who was diagnosed with lymphoma at 9 years of age. I was told he had two to three months to live and to make him as comfortable as I could until we would have to euthanize him. So, since CBD had stopped my arthritis pain and also my fibromyalgia symptoms I decided to give him CBD to see if it would give him some relief. The only thing/medication he received was CBD. Within 3 weeks his symptoms receded and he went into remission, living another 5 years and passing at 15, a normal lifespan for the breed, and not from the lymphoma. So, that being said I have also experienced the positive effects of CBD beyond my arthritis and fibromyalgia and do therefore believe it can be beneficial to fish. Just my opinion of course but if you look into the many studies reported in PubMed there is plenty of evidence as well.
I believe I will be looking into this fish food for my fish, thank you for letting me know it exists ESABOE
Thank you GoDogGo for the thoughtful and information-backed post. I know that Cannabis is a tricky subject in general and understand and respect the varied opinions and experiences. I just wanted to open a dialog mostly because I am so new to reefing and this was specifically for the fish.

While I didn't state it in my OG post, I have fairly extensive experiences on CBD/THC type products over the last 5 years due to cancer (a lot has changed during that time on quality of products available). I have gotten a lot of benefit from these products. However, anything past general aches and pains, I would recommend you work with a medical professional (for me that's the Head of Integrative Medicine at UCSF), you have to use high-quality products, and you have to be willing to try many different things until you find what work s for you. And sometimes, nothing does.

Will this product benefit our fish, have no idea. But am willing to follow Tropic Marin's progress on the product and imagine there will be customer feedback in Europe we can start to read about. By the time it does eventually come to the US Market, I for one, will at least be able to make an informed decision on whether this is a product I would purchase.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can relieve pain or whatever from my old royal Gramma, I'd try it.
She will be in my possession 10 years next month.

Screenshot_20231104_153518_Photos.jpg

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoDogGo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you GoDogGo for the thoughtful and information-backed post. I know that Cannabis is a tricky subject in general and understand and respect the varied opinions and experiences. I just wanted to open a dialog mostly because I am so new to reefing and this was specifically for the fish.

While I didn't state it in my OG post, I have fairly extensive experiences on CBD/THC type products over the last 5 years due to cancer (a lot has changed during that time on quality of products available). I have gotten a lot of benefit from these products. However, anything past general aches and pains, I would recommend you work with a medical professional (for me that's the Head of Integrative Medicine at UCSF), you have to use high-quality products, and you have to be willing to try many different things until you find what work s for you. And sometimes, nothing does.

Will this product benefit our fish, have no idea. But am willing to follow Tropic Marin's progress on the product and imagine there will be customer feedback in Europe we can start to read about. By the time it does eventually come to the US Market, I for one, will at least be able to make an informed decision on whether this is a product I would purchase.
Well, since you brought it up. I also was diagnosed with cancer, stage 4, and was told I had 8 to 9 months and that the type I had/have is the most aggressive and hard to treat of it's type. I did research in the library of medicine and found out that in testing CBD was shown to kill those cancer cells in the lab. So while I was only taking a few mg to help my arthritis and fibro I talked to my oncologist. He had also been doing research and said that he could not tell me how much I should take ( because it is not a drug according to the FDA ) he was very happy that I was in fact using it. So I did more research and upped my "serving size" to therapeutic levels. I responded to treatment in only two cycles of chemo and immunotherapy. I was on treatment for 2 years but finally chemo and Immuno treatment was stopped due to side effects. I am now three years out and my oncologist called me his miracle patient. It having been stage 4 though it could resurface at any point. But I can tell you that without a doubt I will continue to use my CBD. And yes, it is very important to find a trusted and tested product.
I do wish that Tropic Marin or someone else would/will come out with a freshwater fish food as well.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since you brought it up. I also was diagnosed with cancer, stage 4, and was told I had 8 to 9 months and that the type I had/have is the most aggressive and hard to treat of it's type. I did research in the library of medicine and found out that in testing CBD was shown to kill those cancer cells in the lab. So while I was only taking a few mg to help my arthritis and fibro I talked to my oncologist. He had also been doing research and said that he could not tell me how much I should take ( because it is not a drug according to the FDA ) he was very happy that I was in fact using it. So I did more research and upped my "serving size" to therapeutic levels. I responded to treatment in only two cycles of chemo and immunotherapy. I was on treatment for 2 years but finally chemo and Immuno treatment was stopped due to side effects. I am now three years out and my oncologist called me his miracle patient. It having been stage 4 though it could resurface at any point. But I can tell you that without a doubt I will continue to use my CBD. And yes, it is very important to find a trusted and tested product.
I do wish that Tropic Marin or someone else would/will come out with a freshwater fish food as well.
Small world indeed. I’m Stage 4, metastatic, breast cancer and I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago at stage 4! I have been on some type of chemo the entire time (pill/infusion). It has recently spread to liver, so I’m on the big-guns chemo again. So yes, I think people like us know that it can help/work.

And I believe TM they will figure out the right mixture that could at least help with older fish and also smooth aggression. It might take a few iterations though.

May you have continued good health, GoDogGo.

Jennifer

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a very high likelihood your fish already have prescription drugs in their blood streams, organs and tissues. Anything humans take ends up being excreted and eventually end up in our oceans. This has already been proven and data shows many species have very detectable amounts of everything from boner pills to anti depression meds and even fentanyl and oxycontin. I will add even if it gets to market in the US. Here in Florida our crazy right wing Government has already proposed a bill to ban all hemp products from sale in the State. Even though there are literally weed dispensaries on every corner..

Last edited:

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or alternatively, we can feed less aggressive fish that is being bullied cracked cocaine so that it fights back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back