Tropic Marin’s CBD-Infused Fish Food

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve already seen CBD products for our dogs and cats: so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it’s expanding into the aquarium world. Coming from a high-quality company such as @tropic_marin, I’m highly intrigued.

A few of the benefits they cite:

* CBD curbs aggressive behaviour and positively influences physiological values
* Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects improve the regenerative capacity, which benefits the fish especially during transport
* Signs of ageing are reduced by CBD and life expectancy is increased

Just those benefits alone are exciting to see in any product, let alone combined in one.

I’m curious if the reduced aggression benefit will allow us to put “some” fish together in our tanks that historically have struggled to live peacefully together.

I’m just a newbie reefer and am not proposing this products usage either way. I just wanted to open-up the topic within the R2R community; and look forward to hearing from the Thought Leaders and also those who might have used the product.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Aquarium fish don't need drugs, they're already living the dream. "Anyone seen a shark around lately?"

In all seriousness though, the transport use case is intriguing. It would be great if they ran a study and backed up the claim with data.

Also, how can they claim increased life expectancy when fish live 20+ years? How would they have tested that? Sounds fishy to me.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, I'm skeptical.

* Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects improve the regenerative capacity, which benefits the fish especially during transport
These seem like great claims, but is there anything to support this? I mean, have they really done the research on fish and CBD? Just wondering.....

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium fish don't need drugs, they're already living the dream. "Anyone seen a shark around lately?"

In all seriousness though, the transport use case is intriguing. It would be great if they ran a study and backed up the claim with data.

Also, how can they claim increased life expectancy when fish live 20+ years? How would they have tested that? Sounds fishy to me.
The last line about increased life expectancy seem highly dubious to me. To my knowledge, there's no proof or suggestion that CBD increases the lifespan of anything, let alone a fish.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The last line about increased life expectancy seem highly dubious to me. To know knowledge, there's no proof or suggestion that CBD increases the lifespan of anything, let alone a fish.
Right?! If this turns out to be true, with no negative side effects, I'll eat it myself.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have anything against CBD, I think it probably has some value, but we're in the infancy of what it can do for humans. When they put it in dog treats and fish foods I think they are just jumping on a trend, at this point.

@Lou Ekus Can you shed some light on the possible benefits of CBD in fish food, and how you guys developed this product? Thank in advance!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue with therapeutics derived from recreational drugs is that they're massively over-represented in the conversation about treatments/supplements because people are familiar with them and enjoy them recreationally. A good example would be in dogs and cats with CBD for joint pain and arthritis. Thats a pretty hot treatment. It's a mild anti-inflammatory, but a lot of those pets would be much better served with a glucosamine supplement, but people hear about CBD so they give CBD

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest issue with therapeutics derived from recreational drugs is that they're massively over-represented in the conversation about treatments/supplements because people are familiar with them and enjoy them recreationally. A good example would be in dogs and cats with CBD for joint pain and arthritis. Thats a pretty hot treatment. It's a mild anti-inflammatory, but a lot of those pets would be much better served with a glucosamine supplement, but people hear about CBD so they give CBD

Agree.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, but I believe that CBD in dog treats is typically included for its purported "calming effect" and less for joint pain (though I'm sure someone is marketing it for that). But even the Glucosamine and Chondroitin in dog treats is largely unevaluated for efficacy. The dosages in these treats varies a lot from treat to treat, largely because they are just guessing at whether it's effective and at what dose. I think this was a "bandwagon" thing and I feel like it's much the same with the CBD stuff now, but maybe I'm wrong.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is to ignore labels like that. It's just marketing BS, like companies learned people will be more likely to by stuff that says "PROTIEN" on it (talking about breakfast cereal or whatever).

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is to ignore labels like that. It's just marketing BS, like companies learned people will be more likely to by stuff that says "PROTIEN" on it (talking about breakfast cereal or whatever).
While simultaneously ignoring how much extra sugar they add to those breakfast foods.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, but I believe that CBD in dog treats is typically included for its purported "calming effect" and less for joint pain (though I'm sure someone is marketing it for that). But even the Glucosamine and Chondroitin in dog treats is largely unevaluated for efficacy. The dosages in these treats varies a lot from treat to treat, largely because they are just guessing at whether it's effective and at what dose. I think this was a "bandwagon" thing and I feel like it's much the same with the CBD stuff now, but maybe I'm wrong.
I know nowadays cosequin (veterinary glucosamine) is regularly prescribed in vet clinics for joint issues in pets with a defined dose, but agree with your point efficacy. A lot of it is barely evaluated in humans much less pets. MUCH MUCH less fish lol

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We’ve already seen CBD products for our dogs and cats: so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it’s expanding into the aquarium world. Coming from a high-quality company such as @tropic_marin, I’m highly intrigued.

Just those benefits alone are exciting to see in any product, let alone combined in one.

I’m curious if the reduced aggression benefit will allow us to put “some” fish together in our tanks that historically have struggled to live peacefully together.

I’m just a newbie reefer and am not proposing this products usage either way. I just wanted to open-up the topic within the R2R community; and look forward to hearing from the Thought Leaders and also those who might have used the product.

wait. what month is it? could have swore yesterday was march 1st, not April 1st. lol. amirite?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit I did not reading all the post.
I don't understand all this CBD hype. Myself and some people that I know suffer from chronic pain and cbd does absolutely nothing to help. It also does absolutely nothing to curb anger or frustration which I have. THC is where all the magic happens. When you remove that the magic is gone and it's nothing more than a placebo. JMO

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of this before, but I'm always skeptical of new ideas, as most don't pan out. Certainly, adding CBD to the water would just feed bacteria.

Orally, maybe it would mellow the fish out a bit? However, where I live, CBD and THC are legal, and I've found that any benefit from CBD is transient, lasts only a bit longer than the psychoactive effects of the THC. CBD by itself has very low psychoactive effects, and I really doubt that it would mellow fish out. Let's ask Google!

There is this paper, from 2022. I wonder if that's what gave them the idea to try this?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-21759-3#:~:text=CBD mixed with fish food,and increased the gonadosomatic index.

Maybe I'll feed my fish one of my 1:1 10mg gummies tonight and see what happens? Of course, it won't be a valid scientific observation, because I'll be taking one also!

Jay

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Dr. recently Prescribe Turmeric Capsules with Curcumin for inflammation. I can’t take anti inflammation drugs. I was skeptical, but it did reduce my Knee inflammation.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of this before, but I'm always skeptical of new ideas, as most don't pan out. Certainly, adding CBD to the water would just feed bacteria.

Orally, maybe it would mellow the fish out a bit? However, where I live, CBD and THC are legal, and I've found that any benefit from CBD is transient, lasts only a bit longer than the psychoactive effects of the THC. CBD by itself has very low psychoactive effects, and I really doubt that it would mellow fish out. Let's ask Google!

There is this paper, from 2022. I wonder if that's what gave them the idea to try this?
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-21759-3#:~:text=CBD mixed with fish food,and increased the gonadosomatic index.

Maybe I'll feed my fish one of my 1:1 10mg gummies tonight and see what happens? Of course, it won't be a valid scientific observation, because I'll be taking one also!

Jay
Me and my fish were up to 10 10mg gummies a day. So I just decided to turn my skimmer into a bong and they wait for me to spark up! lol jk

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have anything against CBD, I think it probably has some value, but we're in the infancy of what it can do for humans. When they put it in dog treats and fish foods I think they are just jumping on a trend, at this point.

@Lou Ekus Can you shed some light on the possible benefits of CBD in fish food, and how you guys developed this product? Thank in advance!

i've heard very positive things from my team in Germany. But to be totally honest, we can't bring it into the US, so I haven't spent a lot of time learning about it. So I don't have a lot of conrete informaoitn to share until I learn more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back