Tropic Marin / A & K Elements / Help

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your already using a two part or balling method and your providing continual trace elements then how do these products factor in?

Let's say your using TM balling and it should providing trace elements then are these products not to be used?

Are these products better suited to use with dosing something like BRS 2 part or Seachem Reef Advantage cal and Reef Builder alk to provide continual trace elements between water changes?

Regards, GoVols

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your already using a two part or balling method and your providing continual trace elements then how do these products factor in?

Let's say your using TM balling and it should providing trace elements then are these products not to be used?

Are these products better suited to use with dosing something like BRS 2 part or Seachem Reef Advantage cal and Reef Builder alk to provide continual trace elements between water changes?

Regards, GoVols

I'm sure Hans-Werner Balling will "chime in", but in the meantime, here is the basic answer to your question. The question you are asking is one of the most misunderstood aspects of the Balling Method. Even though the Part C of the true Balling Method container Mg and all the trace elements, the addition of the Part C does NOT "supplement" either of those things. The Mg and elements added when adding the Part C are measured out to "balance" or "off set" the additional sodium chloride that is left after the addition of the Parts A&B. Another way to say it is that the sodium chloride created and left over form the Parts A&B addition is then "converted" to complete natural sea salt mixture by the addition of the NaCl and elements when adding the Part C. This is all diluted, then, to compensate for the rise in salinity. Once that is all diluted,l there is no "supplementation going on. This is also true for the Mg, by the way. So to compensate for the trace element depletion, in the tank, the Pro-Coral A&K products are made up of the most quickly depleted trace elements and are designed to supplement that depletion.

I know I have posted this video before, but here it is again. This is a graphic representation of how the Balling Method works with Hans-Werner Balling narrating. There are English captions for the video if you turn on the caption option. I hope this explanation and video clear up the questions. If not, I can go into more detail, if you would like, by phone. Just give me a call in the office at any time. Here is the video link:

upload_2017-5-1_9-39-5.png

Last edited:

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure Hans-Werner Balling will "chime in", but in the meantime, here is the basic answer to your question. The question you are asking is one of the most misunderstood aspects of the Balling Method. Even though the Part C of the true Balling Method container Mg and all the trace elements, the addition of the Part C does NOT "supplement" either of those things. The Mg and elements added when adding the Part C are measured out to "balance" or "off set" the additional sodium chloride that is left after the addition of the Parts A&B. Another way to say it is that the sodium chloride created and left over form the Parts A&B addition is then "converted" to complete natural sea salt mixture by the addition of the NaCl and elements when adding the Part C. This is all diluted, then, to compensate for the rise in salinity. Once that is all diluted,l there is no "supplementation going on. This is also true for the Mg, by the way. So to compensate for the trace element depletion, in the tank, the Pro-Coral A&K products are made up of the most quickly depleted trace elements and are designed to supplement that depletion.

I know I have posted this video before, but here it is again. This is a graphic representation of how the Balling Method works with Hans-Werner Balling narrating. There are English captions for the video if you turn on the caption option. I hope this explanation and video clear up the questions. If not, I can go into more detail, if you would like, by phone. Just give me a call in the office at any time. Here is the video link:

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the double quote and post.....I'm having a little trouble with my computer. :)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the double quote and post.....I'm having a little trouble with my computer. :)
No worries Lou. :)

So these are trace elements to compliment Han's full balling salts?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other-words part C balances out part A and part B.

And the Pro A & K elements are for the continual dosing of trace elements between water changes. :)

Lou, Thank You!

Regards, GoVols

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back