Tropic Marin - All for Reef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- I bought this over a month ago and been using it on my nano.
I notice this yesterday, some sort of mold or algae?
Does anybody here have the same issue?

I will not be using this bottle ,luckily this is just a 250ml but still cost me.

A689C1F6-9EE0-4D65-A0ED-64BA6F782D96.jpeg 11FE705B-FB12-443B-85CF-1C94CA3C55A0.jpeg F6BCA64B-1E54-4597-8EE9-EB2AB4268BC3.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I did not.

They have claimed that the high concentration in it prevents microbial growth, which is why I asked.

I've not seen such issues reported previously.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Never seen this myself but is this in any way exposed to light ?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I THINK that at one point the TM folks mentioned that there could be a harmless iron-based precipitate in the bottom of the containers. I wonder if that is what you are seeing.

@Hans-Werner ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would send pics to Tropic Marin.

U

User1

View Badges
I've not seen this in the DIY recipe but not sure if it is 100% apples to apples comparison. I do see the left over sludge on the bottom of the glass bottle I use for a dosing container as @Rybren mentioned. Not exactly sure what it is but in every bottle I have the cloudy stuff on the bottom. I just pour it down the drain but never mold.

I would second @vetteguy53081 and send a message to TM via their portal. They reply pretty quick and should be able to get to the bottom of it.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I THINK that at one point the TM folks mentioned that there could be a harmless iron-based precipitate in the bottom of the containers. I wonder if that is what you are seeing.

@Hans-Werner ?
I hope it is harmless but I could verify with TM too but not sure if they are active here . Thanks!

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen this in the DIY recipe but not sure if it is 100% apples to apples comparison. I do see the left over sludge on the bottom of the glass bottle I use for a dosing container as @Rybren mentioned. Not exactly sure what it is but in every bottle I have the cloudy stuff on the bottom. I just pour it down the drain but never mold.

I would second @vetteguy53081 and send a message to TM via their portal. They reply pretty quick and should be able to get to the bottom of it.

I will reach out TM. Thanks!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix my own as well and have never seen this. On one of my tanks I even dilute it further so the dosing is right for my nano.
That does look like something growing, not a precipitate. I wonder what it looks like under a microscope...

radsdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From last January
"it settles to the bottom.
i contacted TM and asked why this was, if it was me mixing it wrong or something else.
they told me that it was mostly iron percipitating out of solution, and that it's perfectly safe to dose like that." @jurgenph

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the DIY AFR for about 10 months now. I'm on my third batch. The first two batches i would end up with a little white residue on the bottom of the container. I suspect it was some magnesium powder that never fully dissolved. I got an ICP test during the second batch and my Magnesium was way high. So on my third batch, I only used half of the recommended mag powder. I figure I can easily bring that up if it drops too low. So now there is no white residue on the bottom but I do have the brown stuff I keep reading about.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back