Tropic Marin Balling Component - Part C

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done the calculations for the part C and the original rhf recipe which BRS uses? I do weekly water changes with a ~30 gallon brute, and everything looks much better afterwards, so I'm thinking of trying the part C in addition to my regular 2 part. Thanks

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan got the recipe from Dr. Randy. So it’s exactly the same, the BRS instructions for two part and Randy’s original recipes. I’ll double check but I think that means if the CaCl is 500g per gallon, then you use 168g per gallon solution of TM Part C, dosed at the same rate as the calcium solution.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, where do you get the 168? If it's 497mL of cacl per gallon, that's it... So I would think if you use 60mL of cacl solution, you would use 60mL of the tm part C at the 497mL per gallon rate.

Screenshot_20190928-103900__01.jpg

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest question, where do you get the 168? If it's 497mL of cacl per gallon, that's it... So I would think if you use 60mL of cacl solution, you would use 60mL of the tm part C at the 497mL per gallon rate.

Screenshot_20190928-103900__01.jpg
You are describing a dilution, but not specifying the concentration of CaCl solution that you are using.

The recipe for the two part solutions usually start with 500 grams of dry CaCl powder in one gallon of pure water. The proper Part C to go with that is 168 grams of dry TM Part C mix. They are dosed at the same rate, if you dose 50ml of CaCl solution, then you dose 50ml of Part C solution as well.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thank you, that's the missing piece!

pwilliaml

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried mixing the Tropic Marin Part C right into the BRS calcium solution? Would there be any negatives to this such as precipitation? Looking to make a true two part to replace the one I use now. The alkalinity solution I have right now has only sodium carbonate and the calcium solution has calcium and all the other traces in it as well, so looking to do the same, but make my own.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the three part from tropic Marin is similar to the calcium chloride, sodium carbonate and sodium chloride free salt mix from brs, I assume there is a good reason they have them separate. Otherwise they would have done it already... But I don't have a good chemical reasoning. Maybe Randy or someone can clarify.

102ttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following with this thread. I was going to do this balling method c also but then don't know if this have any positive affect or just weekly water change is enough to replace all the elements.
Mostly sps frags and dosing brs 2 parts 120ml throughout the day.
Total water volume = 120g
alk- 9-9.5
calcium - 480-500
mag 1450

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following with this thread. I was going to do this balling method c also but then don't know if this have any positive affect or just weekly water change is enough to replace all the elements.
Mostly sps frags and dosing brs 2 parts 120ml throughout the day.
Total water volume = 120g
alk- 9-9.5
calcium - 480-500
mag 1450

I think it has definite benefits, but they are different benefits than a water change since nothing is ever removed this way.

102ttran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it has definite benefits, but they are different benefits than a water change since nothing is ever removed this way.

So doing this method will be more beneficial with water changes right? Asking because don't want to add extra components and not having any results beside extra pump.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So doing this method will be more beneficial with water changes right? Asking because don't want to add extra components and not having any results beside extra pump.

Doing either is better than neither. Doing both is better than either one alone. lol

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started on the part c to try and extend my period between water changes, but the corals were so much happier with weekly water changes I went back to my regular schedule. But as the tank ages I will try to extend again. But I'm not dosing a lot of calcium chloride and sodium carbonate, just 80mL a day on a 250 gallon tank, so it may not be terribly significant at this point. I imagine when dosing more to a smaller volume it may be more appreciable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back