Tropic Marin - Low Alk

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bucket of TMP that when mixed only tests at 6.5dKH; I thought that this might be one of the buckets from Turkey with known issues, but it 's from Germany. Since it's not from Turkey, it doesn't qualify for a replacement.

I have a 60 gallon mixing station that I have setup for AWC; this is my first time with this kind of setup. I chose TMP because of the BRS Investigates series on storing salt for long term (week or more) storage.

NOTE: the AWC station and the first bucket of TMP worked perfectly. The tank and mixing station parameters were at 7.2dKH

TMP inherently has low dKH parameters; i'm just wondering if anyone supplements the mixing station with two part? Seems like a good idea to bring Calcium/Alk to the desired parameters then dose the water changes with those parameters.

Seems too easy, so I'm thinking that there is probably a flaw in that thought process; maybe it will precipitate out?

Thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a bucket of TMP that when mixed only tests at 6.5dKH; I thought that this might be one of the buckets from Turkey with known issues, but it 's from Germany. Since it's not from Turkey, it doesn't qualify for a replacement.

I have a 60 gallon mixing station that I have setup for AWC; this is my first time with this kind of setup. I chose TMP because of the BRS Investigates series on storing salt for long term (week or more) storage.

NOTE: the AWC station and the first bucket of TMP worked perfectly. The tank and mixing station parameters were at 7.2dKH

TMP inherently has low dKH parameters; i'm just wondering if anyone supplements the mixing station with two part? Seems like a good idea to bring Calcium/Alk to the desired parameters then dose the water changes with those parameters.

Seems too easy, so I'm thinking that there is probably a flaw in that thought process; maybe it will precipitate out?

Thoughts?
Did you make sure that you mixed up the bucket before putting it into water? (sometimes different portions settle) Are you sure your Alkalinity test is accurate? (double check). I do not adjust the salt at all or even test it after mixing.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make sure that you mixed up the bucket before putting it into water? (sometimes different portions settle) Are you sure your Alkalinity test is accurate? (double check). I do not adjust the salt at all or even test it after mixing.
I did mix the bucket by rolling it around and tumbling it a few times, but maybe I should do a better job. I'm getting ready to try again.

Unfortunately, for ALK checking, I only have my Hanna dKH checker and the calibration fluid expired, so I need order some more. The accuracy is only anecdotal at this point. I purchased some brightwell Reef Code B (Alk Buffer) from my LFS and added 49ml (used brs alk supplement calculator) and it raised my alk dkh to 7 and my ph to 7.9. The PH is accurate. I use my Apex ph probe and hanna ph probe. If the alk tester is off, its probably not by much

I hate doing stuff like that without hard data, but the low ph along with the low alk reading, I felt pretty safe adding the buffer.

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Hey!
This is 100% salt situation.
To make sure, do two tests from the bottom and from the top of the bucket for two parameters: Calcium and KН for example.
If the difference is large, then you need to get a bag of salt from the bucket and roll it on the floor for at least 5 minutes.
In general, it is supposed to dissolve the entire bucket in water completely and it is for this reason that small buckets are produced for small aquariums.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back