Tropic Marin Pro or Red Sea Coral pro?

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 525XL, I have a mixed reef and want to know what salt mix is better for my set up?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are fine. Tropic Marin is more expensive, but also mixes cleaner and more quickly. Red Sea doesn't store very well so if that's a consideration maybe go with TM. TM also has lower alk though.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 525XL, I have a mixed reef and want to know what salt mix is better for my set up?
Good luck finding TM Pro. Many threads on that. As for salt mixes, ton of opinions on that too. Good luck!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TMP, of course, the most expensive salt you can find.
It’s $60 of salt with $100 of marketing, same with all the high end salts.

I buy the salt which is both easy to find, always available, and match’s those parameters which I keep.

Salt is salt, of course IMO.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all a preference..... I used Red Sea pro in my reef.... the alk does mix a little higher than I keep my tank at but it didn't effect anything. However I did end up switching to TM pro because of how fast and clean it mixes. Red Sea mixed incredibly dirty and if you left it in the bucket to long it would turn the bucket brown.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the Red Sea, changed to Tropic Marin, TM mixes a lot easier and doesn’t leave a brown film in the mixing bucket, saying that the Red Sea was fine, would be my 2nd choice but not the Red Sea pro, as the alk is too high, if going for the Red Sea I would get the blue bucket not the pro.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also TMP.

But, I use ESV on another tank. It mixes just as clean if not cleaner. Really good salt, just need to be comfortable measuring and mixing the elements together.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked TMP and it sat stable for 8 years in a brute with LR - no flow. A bit of a slime coat on the top, but nothing else.

That said, now that I am back in the hobby and TMP was unavailable, I went back to IO Reef Crystals since I just could not pass up Amazon ($39 S&S) or Petco ($34 right now for a 160g pail with local pickup).

OP
OP
jpbeen

jpbeen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are fine. Tropic Marin is more expensive, but also mixes cleaner and more quickly. Red Sea doesn't store very well so if that's a consideration maybe go with TM. TM also has lower alk though.
Thanks!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back