Tropic Marin Pro Reef Users: How Do You Manage Alkalinity?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like @Corgigirl, I use TMP and dose All For Reef (DIY formula) throughout the day and my Alk stays around 10dkh. For me, that is fine as I have an all SPS tank.

Last edited:

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I just plan on running my tank at 7dkh. I employ AWC, so matching the tank to the new SW just seems like the easiest and most stable way IMO.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @Corgigirl, I use TMP and dose All In One (DIY formula) throughout the day and my Alk stays around 10dkh. For me, that is fine as I have an all SPS tank.
Right. I get that the tank is more stable, but i'm wanting to know if you are matching your freshly mixed salt water to the tank water in terms of alkalinity..... I don't know if i'm am making sense, in my head I am, but sometimes I might not be explaining my self correctly...

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my tank at 8.6, I normally test the first mix out of a new bucket as I found it varies between 6.9 and 7.6 (hanna checker), I test a mix every now and then but each bucket is normally quite consistent with the first test.

I use red sea liquid alkalinity to buffer it. 1m for every 10 liters will take it up 1.0kh. For example the bucket I'm currently on is around 7.3 so I use 2.6ml to bring my 20 liters upto 8.6. Been doing it this way for a while now it's cheap, easy and consistent. 500ml bottle lasts ages.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I used TMP, I would always add a certain amount of alk mix (I use the baked sodium bicarbonate recipe) and it always mixed up exactly to my tank's Alk. This took trial and error to find the exact amount to add. I don't let this sit too long in the mixing bucket after adding the bicarbonate and add everything into the tank after 30 min.

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @Corgigirl, I use TMP and dose All For Reef (DIY formula) throughout the day and my Alk stays around 10dkh. For me, that is fine as I have an all SPS tank.
I'm curious, how much All-for-Reef do you dose in a day? I have a 69gallon tank, dose 25mls a day. Alk runs between 8.5-9 most of the time, slightly lower right after a water change...

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing anything into your mixing container before the water change? I am just wondering because if your tank is at 9.0 range and the pro reef salt typically mixes at 7.0 range that difference would drive your dkH down a little during the water change.....
I am really looking at all for reef for my 75g, because it would free up dosers in my cabinet and to be honest, I don't like to be mixing up all the alk calc and mag supplements.... maybe I'm just being lazy.

I have been dosing my mixing container to match my tank, been doing this for over a year of using pro reef salt.

Thanks,

Barnabie Mejia
I don't dose anything for water changes - I change 8-9 gallons at a time. Alk drops a little right after the change, but not enough to bother anything that I can tell. I might drop to 8.2 right after a change. It's a whole lot easier than trying to dose 2 part, I'm definitely lazy :). I see steady growth in all my SPS...as long as they're happy, I'm happy.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others. My target Alk is 8.5. When I make a fresh batch I adjust the Alk to 8.5 using soda ash. In my tank I’m dosing ESV.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious, how much All-for-Reef do you dose in a day? I have a 69gallon tank, dose 25mls a day. Alk runs between 8.5-9 most of the time, slightly lower right after a water change...
30ml for 115 gallon total volume. Only frags and mini-colonies at this point, so no huge uptake yet.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right. I get that the tank is more stable, but i'm wanting to know if you are matching your freshly mixed salt water to the tank water in terms of alkalinity..... I don't know if i'm am making sense, in my head I am, but sometimes I might not be explaining my self correctly...
No, I am only using the TMP as it is...no additions or adjustments. I'm not doing large water changes or I might would consider getting the levels closer.

Back