Tropic Marin Pro Reef Users: How Do You Manage Alkalinity?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who use Tropic Marin Pro Reef, we know that its baseline alkalinity tends to be somewhere between 7.0-7.3. I’m making the assumption that not everyone using this salt wants to have their alkalinity at that level, despite being closer to natural seawater. There is proven growth to be gained by running a higher alkalinity.

How do you guys manage your alkalinity? Do you dose your new saltwater before performing a water change? Do you just roll with the lower levels? Did you switch salts altogether to one with high alkalinity?

Personally, as my system is SPS-dominant, I’m starting to wonder if I should just err towards stability and live with the lower levels, just dosing my DT for consumption, but not shooting for elevated levels overall. My fear is that I’m doing more harm than good by messing with the alkalinity so much. That, or potentially switching to TM Classic or HW-Marine to get a higher alk out of the box, so to speak.

All thoughts and comments welcomed!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't so dang expensive, I would use it as is.

I run my alk 7.0 to 7.5, but use regular IO because of price. Having to use acid to lower it is kind of a pain, but doesn't take away from the low cost.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I supplement with two part. Goal of alkalinity at 8.0. I may just let the alkalinity drop to 7.0 over the next month and see how things go. My stonies don't look so great.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much lower calcium/magnesium. I was under the impression that it was designed for FOWLR systems.

They are still within range to maintain a reef. It says on BRS website it is perfect for fish only AND coral reef systems.

I use it on my 5g pico and I don't dose. Water changes only and everything has grown from small frags.

PXL_20201101_203624658.MP.jpg

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to bump it up (to ~8) with some bicarb during mixing, which frankly was really easy to do, but more recently (past couple months) I've been running where it mixes. No issues that I can see at all with the slightly lower Alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who use Tropic Marin Pro Reef, we know that its baseline alkalinity tends to be somewhere between 7.0-7.3. I’m making the assumption that not everyone using this salt wants to have their alkalinity at that level, despite being closer to natural seawater. There is proven growth to be gained by running a higher alkalinity.

How do you guys manage your alkalinity? Do you dose your new saltwater before performing a water change? Do you just roll with the lower levels? Did you switch salts altogether to one with high alkalinity?

Personally, as my system is SPS-dominant, I’m starting to wonder if I should just err towards stability and live with the lower levels, just dosing my DT for consumption, but not shooting for elevated levels overall. My fear is that I’m doing more harm than good by messing with the alkalinity so much. That, or potentially switching to TM Classic or HW-Marine to get a higher alk out of the box, so to speak.

All thoughts and comments welcomed!

If your tank level is higher, it's perfectly appropriate to boost the salt mix to match the tank. But if the tank is not where you want it, directly dosing the tank is more sensible due to timing issues. Excessive dosing into a salt mix also may result in precipitation of calcium carbonate.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank level is higher, it's perfectly appropriate to boost the salt mix to match the tank. But if the tank is not where you want it, directly dosing the tank is more sensible due to timing issues. Excessive dosing into a salt mix also may result in precipitation of calcium carbonate.
Hey Randy, What amount of Alk do you consider excessive dosing into a salt mix that would cause precipitation?
I’m assuming 7 to 8 would be fine right?

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is true, and haven't found any papers supporting it. Do you know of any?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is true, and haven't found any papers supporting it. Do you know of any?

That is widely known, but not studied that much by scientists since it does not get high in nature. But when studied, it does show increased growth, and many hobbyists fiend the same:

A wide range of bicarbonate concentrations was used to monitor the kinetics of bicarbonate (HCO3−) use in both photosynthesis and calcification in two reef‐building corals, Porites porites and Acropora sp. Experiments carried out close to the P. porites collection site in Barbados showed that additions of NaHCO3 to synthetic seawater proportionally increased the calcification rate of this coral until the concentration exceeded three times that of seawater (6 mM).

" We identified a positive correlation of TA with reef growth in our dataset. The difference in TA across our study sites was small, but in the range of natural cross-shelf differences reported from other reefs (e.g., reefs in Bermuda, 20–40 µmol kg−1 , Bates et al., 2010), and as high as 50 µmol kg−1 , which was shown to enhance community net calcification in a reef-enclosed lagoon (Albright et al., 2016). "

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is widely known, but not studied that much by scientists since it does not get high in nature. But when studied, it does show increased growth, and many hobbyists fiend the same:

A wide range of bicarbonate concentrations was used to monitor the kinetics of bicarbonate (HCO3−) use in both photosynthesis and calcification in two reef‐building corals, Porites porites and Acropora sp. Experiments carried out close to the P. porites collection site in Barbados showed that additions of NaHCO3 to synthetic seawater proportionally increased the calcification rate of this coral until the concentration exceeded three times that of seawater (6 mM).

" We identified a positive correlation of TA with reef growth in our dataset. The difference in TA across our study sites was small, but in the range of natural cross-shelf differences reported from other reefs (e.g., reefs in Bermuda, 20–40 µmol kg−1 , Bates et al., 2010), and as high as 50 µmol kg−1 , which was shown to enhance community net calcification in a reef-enclosed lagoon (Albright et al., 2016). "
Thanks Randy, thats a good one! You'll forgive me I hope if I'm skeptical of things that are "widely known" in the hobby, since so many turn out to be wrong :) Like you said, this subject doesnt get a whole lot of attention in peer reviewed studies since high alkalinity doesnt happen much in nature.

But the paper you linked (full text here) has some pretty convincing evidence, based on their use of defined media and their sensitive methods for measuring calcification rates.

I am surprised to learn that not only is growth more sensitive to total alkalinity than I had thought, but that this effect doesnt saturate until the levels are double or triple that of natural seawater. Thats quite an effect.

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, I am using TM Pro and the alkalinity in my SW bin (~40G) drops drastically (8.5 to 6.9) in just a few hours. There is a lot of precipitation on the sides of the bin but I am not sure if this is the cause. For some reason, I have to does about 180% of the BRS calculator amounts of soda ash to get it up to 8.5. I am using a hanna checker and I recheck to ensure my testing is correct.

If it is calcium carbonate precipitation, would this decrease the alkalinity?
If not, any ideas on why it drops so much or why I have to dose 180%?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not using Tropic Marin but Brightwell Neomarine which has a DKH ~7.5. I attempt to match all the incoming values of my salt mix so it's no big deal for me to keep it here.

Thinking PH may be a larger booster of growth from my observations in my own tanks. On my old tank I attempted to run elevated 11 DKH along with increased calcium, but I always had more of a 7.9 pH on that tank.. on my rebuild tank I'm running the 7.5 DKH matching my salt mix but ran the outdoor skimmer line and my bottom pH is normally never less than 8.1 and through the day I'll get to 8.3.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TM Pro for a few reasons including the lower alk. If I want to raise mine someday adding a little buffer to my saltwater mixing station would be an easy fix.

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread....I’ve been using TMP salt for the last 4 months, then dose All-for-Reef daily. It keeps my Alk at 9.0 +/- 0.4 or so. All of my corals seem to love it, good growth, new frags encrust quickly. Pleased with it so far :)

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread....I’ve been using TMP salt for the last 4 months, then dose All-for-Reef daily. It keeps my Alk at 9.0 +/- 0.4 or so. All of my corals seem to love it, good growth, new frags encrust quickly. Pleased with it so far :)
Are you dosing anything into your mixing container before the water change? I am just wondering because if your tank is at 9.0 range and the pro reef salt typically mixes at 7.0 range that difference would drive your dkH down a little during the water change.....
I am really looking at all for reef for my 75g, because it would free up dosers in my cabinet and to be honest, I don't like to be mixing up all the alk calc and mag supplements.... maybe I'm just being lazy.

I have been dosing my mixing container to match my tank, been doing this for over a year of using pro reef salt.

Thanks,

Barnabie Mejia

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back