Tropic Marin Pro Salt Alk mixing really low

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going with the Triton method and received my first bucket of TM Pro Reef from BRS today and mixed up three 5 gallon batches to 1.025 sg. All three batches read 5.9dkh for alk. Is this normal? I read many reviews stating the salt mixes to 7dkh alk. Is this at a higher sg? Using the salt to go full Triton which require 7-8dkh alk.
Numbers are as follows
Alk-5.9
CA - 400
Mg - 1320

CA and MG seem OK, but the alk is really low.

Also is there any other preferred salt for the Triton method salt readily available in the US other than TM Pro?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is your refractometer calibrated? Your Ca is on the lower side for the salt.
Fwiw, I’ve found it to mix more closely to 7 than 8.

Chris L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive mixed several different batches of this and at 1.026 the alk is about 7.6-7.8. Didn’t mix the bucket. Using salifert test.

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What alk test? Do you by any chance have another one to compare.

Man I'm leaving out all the pertinent denials today, almost like I'm forgetting my ars today. Used the Hanna checker and Red Sea, HC - 5.9, RS - 5.8.

Also yes, calibrated refractometer and pinpoint salinity monitor , checked and calibrated multiple times to make sure it was correct.

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have had similar experience

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have had similar experience
what did you do to resolve?

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my parameters double check by lfs and increased the alk with sodium carbonate then did the water change. Later I shook the contents of the bag well and when I performed the next water change my parameters were much closer to the advertised levels.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does this mean?

Salt can settle and certain aspects of it go to the bottom and certain parts go to the top. Just like all mixed materials of diff sizes in a container. I do not know the physics of it but it indeed does happen over time, vibrations, and the bucket always being in one position which is the lid at the top.

It can happen with liquids like paint and solids like a salt mixture which is not just pure salt. Nacl.

OP
OP
ChadmRoman

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt can settle and certain aspects of it go to the bottom and certain parts go to the top. Just like all mixed materials of diff sizes in a container. I do not know the physics of it but it indeed does happen over time, vibrations, and the bucket always being in one position which is the lid at the top.

It can happen with liquids like paint and solids like a salt mixture which is not just pure salt. Nacl.
I rolled it around my garage for 15 minutes before using. Guess I will try this again and mix up a batch tonight and check parameters. Who know's maybe it wasn't mixed enough.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Something to consider (and probably a stupid question/comment) - but I learned something the other day - in another thread - that being that the warmer the water - that alk can precipitate. I thought it was more of a theoretical thing. I use bright well neomarine - and usually I have 40 gallons of water - and add the required amount of salt - well I thought id save some effort - and when I had about 10 gallons of water in the bucket - I added the 1/2 the required amount of salt - and put in a large pump to 'mix'. Then when it was 3/4 full (of RODI) - dripping in slowly - I added the rest of the salt - thinking ok great - it will be ready to go in the AM - well - there was a lot of precipitate - whether from the heat of the pump - or the higher concentration of salt mix - IDK - but the important message (long story short) - make sure you're following the directions exactly for the salt you're using. as it can and will affect alk

That said - Agree with rechecking your tests - and salinity. Hope you figure it out:)

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always mix salt in cooler water. I had bad experiences in the past heating it to temp first. Cooler meaning often right after filling a bucket from ro/di or close to room temp of 70.

No more scum at the bottom. Nice and clear. I normally let it sit with a small power head for some hours up to a few days. Works nicely

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always mix salt in cooler water. I had bad experiences in the past heating it to temp first. Cooler meaning often right after filling a bucket from ro/di or close to room temp of 70.

No more scum at the bottom. Nice and clear.

Right its something @Randy Holmes-Farley taught me a couple weeks ago - great recommendation

Chris L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe recently BRS did a study and it leans more toward a "reef fantasy" than overall fact.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe recently BRS did a study and it leans more toward a "reef fantasy" than overall fact.

I watched a good chunk of that video. Some salt did better then others but the most common reef crystal sure looks like it needed some dry mixing.

Put me in the it cant hurt camp.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My new bucket has a lower Alk 7.1 - 7.3 dkh @ 1.026 . Usually it’s 7.6-7.9 range . I stirred the mix for a few minutes and retested a new batch and got 7.6 ...still on the lower end. Hannah checker.

Calcium was also in the low at 380 ppm Hannah checker again so I can’t say the accuracy .

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back