View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed up my first batch of tropic Marin coral pro. Tested levels and got:
5.8 dkh
Ca @ 350
Mag @ 990

Thoughts on this? Anyone else have a similar experience. I switched from reef crystals but I’m not sure why I’m wishing I had some right now.

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tested mg but my fresh mix always getting @7.4 alk and 450 cal at 35ppt.

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If difference is too much, its better to dose up your fresh mix to match to prevent upsetting your display.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that your numbers are all low, I'd strongly suspect that you really don't have 1.026 specific gravity when you're mixing it up. If a salt mix is old and/or has been exposed to humidity, that can cause the calcium chloride and sodium carbonate/bicarbonate in the mixture to react to form insoluble calcium carbonate, which will affect the final calcium and alkalinity concentration of the seawater. But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Pro is known as one of the most consistent mixes... I would remove the bag from the bucket and give it a good hand mixing in case of separation and try testing again before I started dosing a fresh mix.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the salinity is likely off. I'd triple check that before adding anything.

Otherwise, the salt has separated in the bucket, or a bad batch of salt, which IMO, is far, far less common than user measurement issues.

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed TMP have been really mixing cocsistent for me too. Try checking your display sg if you are getting 1.026 too just to rule out refractometer error.

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT, fresh salt and calibration fluid all read 1.026 on my refractometer. I have no other means of checking salinity.

OP
OP
SCReef'n

SCReef'n

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve rerun all my tests and they are within single digit ppm/dkh of the last tests. Using a Hanna checker for alk and salifert for mag and calcium

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT, fresh salt and calibration fluid all read 1.026 on my refractometer. I have no other means of checking salinity.

How did you calibrate the refractometer? I'd try a different calibration solution.

Not meaning to doubt you personally, but there are hundreds if not thousands of threads in this subforum alone where measurement issues are the cause of off numbers, rather than something odd in the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tempted to open a new bucket and test a gallon of that

That's a decent plan, except the part of testing just a gallon.

What fraction of the bucket did the last measurement represent? Salt buckets can settle, and taking a gallon of mix of the top may not reflect the whole bucket.

Zero1091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mix once with a brand new bucket and got low levels similar to yours, alk around 5, cal around 390 I assumed the contents needed to be mixed inside the bucket. I poured the contents in and out of the bag a few times about 4 total and got my results a bit higher when I made another batch alk 7, cal 420, dont remember mag so much but it made a difference.
Also noticed a better difference when mixing it at my tank temp (78 degrees) vs it being colder than my tank temp.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back