Tropic marin pro salt low dkh

Dieselbluepit1027

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched to Tropic marin pro salt....fresh mix is reading 6.9 dkh at 35ppt....my display runs at 8.5 dkh just wondering if this will swing my alk during water changes or will the dosing pumps even it back out? Also dosing Aquaforest 123 balling method...thanks for the input

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will reduce your alk to the degree of volume % of water you change to the Delta of what's in your tank and the new water. Dose your fresh salt water with sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate to raise the alk to match your tank if you're doing a larger change out you don't want it to gradually drop over time with things like awc's etc. TMP is around 7dkh as formulated.

OP
OP
D

Dieselbluepit1027

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will reduce your alk to the degree of volume % of water you change to the Delta of what's in your tank and the new water. Dose your fresh salt water with sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate to raise the alk to match your tank if you're doing a larger change out you don't want it to gradually drop over time with things like awc's etc. TMP is around 7dkh as formulated.

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I have to dose my fresh water to match my tank before adding the new water... it’s annoying, and partly why I will be switching brands shortly!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's less than ideal for sure, I'll be adjusting some fresh TMP today myself for a water change. I don't mind it though, I really like the quality.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same as these guys. Dose it before using to ensure a close match

4kidsandapug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I’m having roughly the same issue with TMP. Is there a formula or recipe somewhere to figure out how much to dose my fresh salt water?

For example: fresh TMP is 7dkh. I want to increase my tank of 8.5dkh to 10dkh... surely it’s not safe to dose the fresh salt water to 10dkh and then do a water change? I have Red Sea ABC liquid concentrate. That would be like 200ml of alk or am I totally butchering the measurement tables? It’s ambiguous to me.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having roughly the same issue with TMP. Is there a formula or recipe somewhere to figure out how much to dose my fresh salt water?

For example: fresh TMP is 7dkh. I want to increase my tank of 8.5dkh to 10dkh... surely it’s not safe to dose the fresh salt water to 10dkh and then do a water change? I have Red Sea ABC liquid concentrate. That would be like 200ml of alk or am I totally butchering the measurement tables? It’s ambiguous to me.
Yeah totally. So I use TMP as well, it nets out to around 7 like you said (very consistent). My tank runs 8.5 ish +/- .5dkh. once you mix your new salt water simply chuck however many ml of sodium carbonate (soda ash) to raise your new batch to whatever your tank is running at. You can change it out after it's had time to mix (that time depends on your individual setup). I've changed in less than an hour after adjusting my alk as my tank has good circulation.

I use the calculator on BRS' website to figure out how much liquid suga ash to add. Typically I mix up 55 gallons at a time and it doesn't take much 60ml ish and Bob's your uncle. Takes all of 30 seconds to make the adjustment, no big deal. Ideally it'll stay at that level for some proud of time unless it gets contaminated.

HTH

Screenshot_20210603-204447.png

4kidsandapug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Alright that makes a bit more sense to some degree. I mix up 30 gal at a time. Typically do a water change every 10-14 days. Ideally I want to get my alk up to 10-11dkh but right now it’s at 8.2 as of today. So if I use the BrS calculator and make 30 gal of TMP and use liquid alk, I need like 128ml to raise it to 10.5... obviously a water change won’t raise my tank that high right away but after a few it should get me to where I want to be right? Same for other elements?

I guess I’m hoping it won’t have an effect on my DT doing this way?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every week, I add 1 oz of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to 10 gallons of TMP to raise Alk from approximately 7 to 8.5 dKh For my water change.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright that makes a bit more sense to some degree. I mix up 30 gal at a time. Typically do a water change every 10-14 days. Ideally I want to get my alk up to 10-11dkh but right now it’s at 8.2 as of today. So if I use the BrS calculator and make 30 gal of TMP and use liquid alk, I need like 128ml to raise it to 10.5... obviously a water change won’t raise my tank that high right away but after a few it should get me to where I want to be right? Same for other elements?

I guess I’m hoping it won’t have an effect on my DT doing this way?
Get your tank to where you want it first ideally. You could bump it up slowly via water changes as well, but following normal convention don't change it by more than .5 - 1dkh in a 24 hour period. What's the total volume of your system?

4kidsandapug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Get your tank to where you want it first ideally. You could bump it up slowly via water changes as well, but following normal convention don't change it by more than .5 - 1dkh in a 24 hour period. What's the total volume of your system?
120 gal total with sump and DT.

I’m totally confused about dosing then if this is the case. My alk was 8.2 tonight. The Red Sea liquid alk says .1dkh per 1ml. So the most I should dose is 5-10ml? But yet the mixed reef suggests like 38 ml to keep dkh constant at a recommended level? Maybe I’m just looking at everything completely wrong.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m totally confused about dosing then if this is the case. My alk was 8.2 tonight. The Red Sea liquid alk says .1dkh per 1ml. So the most I should dose is 5-10ml? But yet the mixed reef suggests like 38 ml to keep dkh constant at a recommended level? Maybe I’m just looking at everything completely wrong.
I'm not familiar with red sea products I'd have to look it up and figure it out. I was just trying to help from a conceptual point of view. I've just had good success with matching new salt water to the tank. I make sure the DT is where I want it or barring that I just adjust the dKH afterwards in the DT slowly to get it up there. Keeps it super simple rather than doing a system of two equations to figure out how to mix volumes of two different solutions. If you're still stuck I could go read up on their product and give you my interpretation. So if your water change is more important at the moment, adjust your new salt up from 7 to 8.2 using whatever instructions red sea gives for that 30 gallons. Do you water change, then dose your tank to raise it .5 dKH/day until you got your target.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea part B (sodium carbonate). It’s super easy to dose. For every 25 gallons 1mL will raise your dkh by 0.1. I mix fresh saltwater to 10dkh so I had to add about 25mL of part B to my 25 gallon mix. If you mix 30 gallons you would have to add 1.2mL part B to get 0.1dkh rise.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can adjust your new salt as fast as you want. I add 25mL all at once. Just don’t add that much to your DT, need to get that up slowly.

4kidsandapug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
You can adjust your new salt as fast as you want. I add 25mL all at once. Just don’t add that much to your DT, need to get that up slowly.
Alright. That part makes sense. Do you think raising my fresh salt to 10 and doing 30 gal water changes is slow enough? Should take a few to raise my DT I would think

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. That part makes sense. Do you think raising my fresh salt to 10 and doing 30 gal water changes is slow enough? Should take a few to raise my DT I would think
How many gallons is your system, how many % is a 30gal change for you?

4kidsandapug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I'm not familiar with red sea products I'd have to look it up and figure it out. I was just trying to help from a conceptual point of view. I've just had good success with matching new salt water to the tank. I make sure the DT is where I want it or barring that I just adjust the dKH afterwards in the DT slowly to get it up there. Keeps it super simple rather than doing a system of two equations to figure out how to mix volumes of two different solutions. If you're still stuck I could go read up on their product and give you my interpretation. So if your water change is more important at the moment, adjust your new salt up from 7 to 8.2 using whatever instructions red sea gives for that 30 gallons. Do you water change, then dose your tank to raise it .5 dKH/day until you got your target.
I appreciate your help Rob. I’ll look into it and see what I can come back with.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back