Tropic marin pro salt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are many of us that are using tropic marin salt and there are a good number of folks that are having issues. Bulk Reek Supply has been mentioned a number of times.

Just wanted to hear your stance on this salt.

wolfen281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are many of us that are using tropic marin salt and there are a good number of folks that are having issues. Bulk Reek Supply has been mentioned a number of times.

Just wanted to hear your stance on this salt.
Can you be more specific? Or can you post a link to these observations?

I'm just a newbie who started using the salt a couple months back so I need more background.

The only observations I have:
1. Tropic Marin Pro brought my Ca and Mg down to normal levels for a reef tank (I was using IO)
2. TM is a clean mixing salt- I very much like not having to clean out white filmy scuzz from my brute can and mixing equipment
3. I have had no deaths (except a richard cranium halloween crab a couple days ago)-my tank has LPS, SPS, inverts, and several fish
4. TM mixed up has a Hint-o-cat-pee aroma to it after a couple days in the brute can (IO salt did not).

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you be more specific? Or can you post a link to these observations?

I'm just a newbie who started using the salt a couple months back so I need more background.

The only observations I have:
1. Tropic Marin Pro brought my Ca and Mg down to normal levels for a reef tank (I was using IO)
2. TM is a clean mixing salt- I very much like not having to clean out white filmy scuzz from my brute can and mixing equipment
3. I have had no deaths (except a richard cranium halloween crab a couple days ago)-my tank has LPS, SPS, inverts, and several fish
4. TM mixed up has a Hint-o-cat-pee aroma to it after a couple days in the brute can (IO salt did not).

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why start another thread for everyone to follow instead of just adding to the ones already started ?!?!?

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why start another thread for everyone to follow instead of just adding to the ones already started ?!?!?
cause the other threads have nothing to do with BRS, but are to TMP...this one is for BRS as they are being mentioned...

no harm no foul...first time i have been schooled...thank you

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cause the other threads have nothing to do with BRS, but are to TMP...this one is for BRS as they are being mentioned...

no harm no foul...first time i have been schooled...thank you
No worries, we're happy to chime in. As many of you might already know, we've been using the Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt here at BRS for years now. We have had no issues with the salt in our own tanks, but have seen the same threads that others have referenced here. We are continuing to use Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt in our mixing stations.

We're confident that Tropic Marin is taking this seriously and they have posted a link to their online survey (Tropic Marin Salt Questionnaire) for anyone to report problems, should they arise. The information that Lou posted in the "Pro Reef salt from Turkey" thread is the latest we have. Lou is a reef nerd just like the rest of us and I'm sure he's tirelessly working to provide the answers that the reefing community is looking for.

All of that said, as of the writing of this post, all of the Pro Reef Salt we have in stock is from their German facility.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, we're happy to chime in. As many of you might already know, we've been using the Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt here at BRS for years now. We have had no issues with the salt in our own tanks, but have seen the same threads that others have referenced here. We are continuing to use Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt in our mixing stations.

We're confident that Tropic Marin is taking this seriously and they have posted a link to their online survey (Tropic Marin Salt Questionnaire) for anyone to report problems, should they arise. The information that Lou posted in the "Pro Reef salt from Turkey" thread is the latest we have. Lou is a reef nerd just like the rest of us and I'm sure he's tirelessly working to provide the answers that the reefing community is looking for.

All of that said, as of the writing of this post, all of the Pro Reef Salt we have in stock is from their German facility.
is there a way to buy only the german made tmp salt from BRS?

OP
OP
Duffer

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thank you for your response..

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm wondering why BRS doesn't carry AquaForest reef salt? It looks like a great alternative to TM Pro. The critical element and alkalinity levels are similar and it's supposedly pharmaceutical quality ingredients. Considering the availability and potential quality issues with the TM salt lately you might have a market for this product.

BunBunCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering why BRS doesn't carry AquaForest reef salt? It looks like a great alternative to TM Pro. The critical element and alkalinity levels are similar and it's supposedly pharmaceutical quality ingredients. Considering the availability and potential quality issues with the TM salt lately you might have a market for this product.
Where are you finding the AquaForest salt? (I am assuming you are USA based, my apologies if not). I love the AF products I have used lately and would love to start up my next tank build using the salt too.
In response to your suggestion of BRS carrying AF, I totally agree. I’ve noticed a lot more interest in their products over the last 6 months and BRS is the go-to for many reefers. This would bring in more customers and of course $$$.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you finding the AquaForest salt? (I am assuming you are USA based, my apologies if not). I love the AF products I have used lately and would love to start up my next tank build using the salt too.
In response to your suggestion of BRS carrying AF, I totally agree. I’ve noticed a lot more interest in their products over the last 6 months and BRS is the go-to for many reefers. This would bring in more customers and of course $$$.
I think you can find it at Saltwateraquarium.com. A good supporter of R2R by the way.
AF supplements have been my go-to for a while and the quality is hard to beat.

ahopki1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted BRS on July 13, 2021, about a couple buckets of salt that I had purchased end of March. The salt was in such bad shape I couldn't even use it. I specifically remember asking if these buckets had been sitting for months in a shipping container and if anyone had contacted BRS about the same issue. They told me NO! A few days later, without asking for or even knowing, I received a replacement bucket of salt...from Turkey compliments of BRS. At the time, I thought it was very good customer service for BRS to replace the salt. Now I am wondering if somebody already knew something or if this was just the beginning of this batch of bad salt.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted BRS on July 13, 2021, about a couple buckets of salt that I had purchased end of March. The salt was in such bad shape I couldn't even use it. I specifically remember asking if these buckets had been sitting for months in a shipping container and if anyone had contacted BRS about the same issue. They told me NO! A few days later, without asking for or even knowing, I received a replacement bucket of salt...from Turkey compliments of BRS. At the time, I thought it was very good customer service for BRS to replace the salt. Now I am wondering if somebody already knew something or if this was just the beginning of this batch of bad salt.
The Tropic Marin Pro Reef facility in Turkey started production in April of 2021 and our first shipment from that facility arrived to BRS mid-May 2021. If you purchased buckets from us in March 2021, they would have been from the German facility.

Edit/Correction: Tropic Marin announced this new production facility in April of 2021, but shipping from their facility began in at the beginning of 2021. That said, based on the info I currently have, our first shipment of salt from Turkey didn't arrive until that mid-May timeframe as previously mentioned. This is shipped via cargo ship in most cases, so that coupled with the congested ports usually means that it takes a number of months to arrive once it's shipped.

Last edited:

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Tropic Marin Pro Reef facility in Turkey started production in April of 2021 and our first shipment from that facility arrived to BRS mid-May 2021. If you purchased buckets in March 2021, they would have been from the German facility.
Hi BRS, I believe you have had the Turkish salt before that. Per Tropic Marins website, the news of the Turkish facility was made public in April of 2021. However,"The first 20 containers of Tropic Marin salt were shipped at the beginning of the year."

I receieved a 200gal box the beginning of April, ordered March 30, and it was from Turkey. I thought nothing of it that the salt was bad at that time, although there were red flags - slime left in the mixing container and the mixed salt had an oily film on the surface. That oily firm then also was on the water surface of my tank. I had months of issues loosing corals and unable to figure out why. ICP was clear, tore all equipement apart looking for rust, sent bacterial biome analysis in, etc, etc. Never once did I think that my salt - the gold standard of salt - who only uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients - was the culprit. My tanked began to rebound after switching to a German made Tropic Marin salt - my coral death has stopped, my SPS that did survive began to heal, and my LPS began to grow again.

I feel betrayed by Tropic Marin that I put my trust in them and paid a premium for German made, high quality ingredients and I got a cost cutting, less than standard, product instead. I have a bag full of dead coral skeletons that I can 100% attribute from using the contaminated salt. I am also upset with myself for not connecting the dots sooner that it was the salt that was killing my tank. Only after receiving a second Turkish box later in the year, that was even more contaminated than the first, is when I started realizing it was the salt.

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We have had no issues with the salt in our own tanks, but have seen the same threads that others have referenced here. We are continuing to use Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt in our mixing stations.

Interesting quote from last Thursday, considering that todays video suggests that BRS has known about this issue for some time.

ahopki1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tropic Marin Pro Reef facility in Turkey started production in April of 2021 and our first shipment from that facility arrived to BRS mid-May 2021. If you purchased buckets in March 2021, they would have been from the German facility.
Thanks for that information. That makes me feel better. Now I know that the replacement bucket was sent with the right (honest) intention. Thank you, BRS has always had amazing CS!!

ahopki1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi BRS, I believe you have had the Turkish salt before that. Per Tropic Marins website, the news of the Turkish facility was made public in April of 2021. However,"The first 20 containers of Tropic Marin salt were shipped at the beginning of the year."

I receieved a 200gal box the beginning of April, ordered March 30, and it was from Turkey. I thought nothing of it that the salt was bad at that time, although there were red flags - slime left in the mixing container and the mixed salt had an oily film on the surface. That oily firm then also was on the water surface of my tank. I had months of issues loosing corals and unable to figure out why. ICP was clear, tore all equipement apart looking for rust, sent bacterial biome analysis in, etc, etc. Never once did I think that my salt - the gold standard of salt - who only uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients - was the culprit. My tanked began to rebound after switching to a German made Tropic Marin salt - my coral death has stopped, my SPS that did survive began to heal, and my LPS began to grow again.

I feel betrayed by Tropic Marin that I put my trust in them and paid a premium for German made, high quality ingredients and I got a cost cutting, less than standard, product instead. I have a bag full of dead coral skeletons that I can 100% attribute from using the contaminated salt. I am also upset with myself for not connecting the dots sooner that it was the salt that was killing my tank. Only after receiving a second Turkish box later in the year, that was even more contaminated than the first, is when I started realizing it was the salt.
Was the slime pink? The TMP from turkey left a pink slime (mold?) in my 'new water' water changing hose. I had to bleach the hose, twice, to get it all out.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for that information. That makes me feel better. Now I know that the replacement bucket was sent with the right (honest) intention. Thank you, BRS has always had amazing CS!!

They have already posted misleading information on this thread (as I quoted above). They are currently in cover-up mode, in my opinion.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back