Tropic marin pro salt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting quote from last Thursday, considering that todays video suggests that BRS has known about this issue for some time.
They said they noticed no issues in the tank. In the video they said they only noticed the residue in the buckets but they said all of their tanks were fine. They are also replacing unopened Turkish blend with the German made ones before tropic Marin has even started their own recall. Not sure exactly what your point is here?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have already posted misleading information on this thread (as I quoted above). They are currently in cover-up mode, in my opinion.
Just to clarify the quote from earlier in this thread, that was in reference to the livestock issues that some reefers have reported. We have not experienced the same losses while using this salt mix that some other reefers have reported. Apologies for not making that more clear in the initial post.

We're customers and users of the salt too, so we're equally as disappointed. We're not trying to speak on behalf of Tropic Marin, just trying to relay what we know at this point in time.

The most up to date information from Tropic Marin themselves can be found here: https://www.tropic-marin.com/aktuelles?lang=en

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have already posted misleading information on this thread (as I quoted above). They are currently in cover-up mode, in my opinion.
Totally agree!! Had a bucket from turkey. Spoke to numerous people about this. And even made a thread in here asking anyone who had similar issues. Spoke to TM staff and assured it wasn’t the salt. Low and behold here we are.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything more specific to share a side from support?

I buy 4 pails at a time and store them. i have always had good results but I am willing to send in an ICP of salt instead of tank I do a few times a year. What parameter is off and can it be tested by ICP?

Thanks in advance

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a 30 kilo bag of TMP salt made in Turkey, which it says in large letters on the front. I quit using it because it makes my SPS react negatively every time I try a 5 gallon water change in the next few days. Doesn't look like these sized bags are listed on their site. Certainly don't have a receipt any more for it. Adios TM.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no clarification from vendors I saw chewy deal on IO and saw ReefBum channel went to this salt as well.

Sort of a done deal. Get stuck with 240 in salt is better than other problems. I might give to a FOWLR tank owner.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TM in a smaller setup and have no complaints, but honestly....IO is 50 bucks for a 200 gallon mix box. I'm setting up a 100 gallon system and will be using IO. I see no reason for the higher priced salts at this point in my career.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, i see so many IO users coming out of the woodwork and I see no complaints. Since they sell a lot of salt at a low price point i would expect to hear at least a few horror stories. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or they're just that good?

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably find fault with any salt, over the years other salts had issues, I remember went Kent was really popular and then they had some bad batches.
I use IO and RC and will continue, price is right, it’s the first salt I ever used back in 1972 and has been around since 1965.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TM in a smaller setup and have no complaints, but honestly....IO is 50 bucks for a 200 gallon mix box. I'm setting up a 100 gallon system and will be using IO. I see no reason for the higher priced salts at this point in my career.
I agree. I know it works well. Jason Fox uses it as well. I would just transition slow and then slow. In all honest it could be a month long set back see no real drawbacks. CHeap and easy to get are big factors.

To clean storage container peroxide and vinegar work overnight very well. It is likely a dirtier salt.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, i see so many IO users coming out of the woodwork and I see no complaints. Since they sell a lot of salt at a low price point i would expect to hear at least a few horror stories. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough or they're just that good?
The biggest issue I hear/see is with SPS dominant tanks. The alk is high and the Ca is a lil' low (400ish) and the salt itself can sometimes vary from batch to batch in terms of consistency. That and the "crud" in the mixing tanks.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue I hear/see is with SPS dominant tanks. The alk is high and the Ca is a lil' low (400ish) and the salt itself can sometimes vary from batch to batch in terms of consistency. That and the "crud" in the mixing tanks.
There's a big difference between IO and IO Reef Crystals. Only one has really high alk. Has anyone tested the consistency of IO products? I'd hate to hear they suffer from inconsistency without seeing the data.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a big difference between IO and IO Reef Crystals. Only one has really high alk. Has anyone tested the consistency of IO products? I'd hate to hear they suffer from inconsistency without seeing the data.
It has been around for decades and millions realize it works great for them including SPS dominated tanks. Plus they save lots of money as well. I have my alk and calcium supplements dialed in and daily automatic water changes with RC and no reason to look elsewhere for this readily available reliable salt.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back