Tropic Marin Recalls ‘Turkish Blend’ of Pro-Reef Salt Mix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkish Blend usually engenders a connotation of fine tobacco or strong coffee but the term is coming to mean something very different for one flavor of Tropic Marin’s popular saltwater mixes. Mysterious coral problems started arising from the reefing community several months ago but it’s only this year that reef keepers and coral farmers started…
Source

Continue reading...

ffgottke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird…I was just getting ready to order some until I looked at the last couple months reviews…they’ve been terrible! Nice heads up.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Clickbait headline by Jake. No details or announcement of a recall have been issued. Stopping production and distribution is not a recall. (Although TM should do a recall, but I’m sure before announcing such many details as to how it would be executed needs to be ironed out first).

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird…I was just getting ready to order some until I looked at the last couple months reviews…they’ve been terrible! Nice heads up.
Just for the record their Germany plant has no issues. Also. Have used two boxes from turkey and have no issues. Thu I do have concerns

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement on current supply of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt from our Turkish production facility.

Tropic Marin stands for the highest quality in seawater animal husbandry. Regrettably, in the last few days we have received several complaints that some of our Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt, produced in our Turkish facility, did not meet our exacting optical standards. Our investigation into these complaints has revealed that limited batches of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt may contain a small amount of an insoluble clay mineral impurity that may impact our exacting optical quality standards, resulting in cloudiness, film and/or yellowish or brownish residue in the water. Importantly, we have no evidence that these insoluble clay minerals, causing the cloudiness, are harmful to the animals. Please note that this notice only applies to Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt blended in our facility in Turkey and that the mineral impurity has not been observed in Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced in our German facilities or in any of our other products.

In addition to our own investigations, we have commissioned an in-depth analysis from an external laboratory to verify our findings. As a precautionary measure, we have decided to interrupt the production and distribution of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef salts, blended in our facility in Turkey, until further notice. Again, this is purely a precautionary measure and has no impact on Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced elsewhere.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this has caused.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t see the word recall

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement on current supply of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt from our Turkish production facility.

Tropic Marin stands for the highest quality in seawater animal husbandry. Regrettably, in the last few days we have received several complaints that some of our Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt, produced in our Turkish facility, did not meet our exacting optical standards.
Oh my, I hate being old, as I swear it been a lot longer than THE LAST FEW DAYS I've been reading about these complaints right here on this very forum.

I found the complaint thread, it started on 12/03/21 and it's now 01/31/22, so most likely that's a few days in German.

Last edited:

ffgottke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record their Germany plant has no issues. Also. Have used two boxes from turkey and have no issues. Thu I do have concerns
Believe me after all the great things Ive heard about this salt Ive tried to buy it, however with the supply being low at the time I wasn't willing to switch salts for the price that stores were selling it for. Things do happen, I get it. Im glad they've tracked down the problem and will find a solution to it because one day I will give it a try.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a bucket from them a week ago and it was manufactured in Turkey o_O

I got 4 boxes from BRS late November 2021 / early December 2021 and all from Turkey. They might be only selling German made TM salt since TM is temporaily stopping dostribution of turkey made salt but what is BRS doing with their current inventory of turkish salt? Just dump it on customers and tell them that they need to pay for shipping the salt back to qualify for a refund or exchange?

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if TM will refund or replace our salt? I've got 2 & 1/2 buckets of the Turkey junk. This makes me really upset. I've complained to them about an odd chemical smell in my mixing bucket, brown residue on the sides of the bucket, pumps, and impeller shafts, also heavy film on the surface of the water. I received no response from three different emails I've sent to them. I've lost all faith and will most likely never buy their salt ever again.

I've had some rando phyto crashes that I 100% blame on the salt because 1) I keep everything labratory level clean 2) am always very rigorous in keeping everything exact only ever making a change as an experiment and documenting it 3) I've tested with other salt and this Turkish trash is causing it. So, to further prove this to myself I bought bucket of German made TM and zero issues for a month now.

Just sayin... TM you need to correct this colossal mistake quickly or have your companies image ruined forever.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 boxes from BRS late November 2021 / early December 2021 and all from Turkey. They might be only selling German made TM salt since TM is temporaily stopping dostribution of turkey made salt but what is BRS doing with their current inventory of turkish salt? Just dump it on customers and tell them that they need to pay for shipping the salt back to qualify for a refund or exchange?
I threw out a bucket and a half last week.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love how this thread has turned into bashing TM (there's already numerous threads for this) instead of calling Jake out for a horrible article just looking for clicks on a Monday. He doesn't use correct names (it's Pro Reef not Reef Pro), there was no recall issued, and no one is calling it the "Turkish Blend"...I've followed almost every thread out there.

Sensational reporting with a clickbait title instead of actual investigative journalism. It doesn't do any of us a favor or help the hobby when articles like this are put out.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turkish Blend usually engenders a connotation of fine tobacco or strong coffee but the term is coming to mean something very different for one flavor of Tropic Marin’s popular saltwater mixes. Mysterious coral problems started arising from the reefing community several months ago but it’s only this year that reef keepers and coral farmers started…
Source

Continue reading...
Weird I thought Turkish blend was the term used for how people leave the Saudi consulate in turkey....

TheTruTaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, guys, I have noticed since running out of my german Salt, some time into using the Turkish blend I had rising silicates in my water and an outbreak of cyano, I could not track what was being put into my water, but after this news its starting to make sense. Because of this will i be able to qualify for a refund, exchange or anything? i don't want to use this salt and its expensive for me to afford a replacement. i did get my salt from BRS who from what i can see said to sell german made salt????

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok, guys, I have noticed since running out of my german Salt, some time into using the Turkish blend I had rising silicates in my water and an outbreak of cyano, I could not track what was being put into my water, but after this news its starting to make sense. Because of this will i be able to qualify for a refund, exchange or anything? i don't want to use this salt and its expensive for me to afford a replacement. i did get my salt from BRS who from what i can see said to sell german made salt????
High silicates is almost a guarantee coming from your RODI. I haven't seen any of the ICP tests done on Turkey salt have super high silicates. At least from what I can recall. People were complaining about high iron and high manganese but these were proven to be right in line with what TM mixes their salt at.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how social media now is saying recall. Way to go reefbuilders. !!
False

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back